College of Graduate Studies



Related Links

Contact Us

Main Campus
University Hall

Room: 3240
Phone: 419.530.GRAD (4723)
Fax: 419.530.4724

Health Science Campus
Mulford Library
Room 048
Phone: 419.530.GRAD (4723)

Health Science Campus Graduate Student Handbook 2009-2010


Current Page Quicklinks

     Academic Standards
     Audited Courses
     Other Credit
     Professional Graduate Courses
     Repetition of Courses
     Residency Requirement
     Transfer Credit

     Academic Grievance
     Alteration of Grades
     Dismissal Appeal Procedure
     Grading and Point System

     Animal Research
     Continuous Enrollment
     Cooperative Agreement
     Course Load
     Enrollment after Defense or Presentation
     Health Requirements
     Late Registration Fee
     Leave of Absence
     Liability Insurance
     Patent and Intellectual Property Policy
     Regulatory Compliance (GRAD Form)
     Student Records
     Undergraduates in Graduate Courses    


REGISTRATION     (top of page)

A student must be matriculated into a graduate-level degree or non-degree program in the College of Graduate Studies in order to earn graduate credit.

Specific policies and procedures regarding addition of courses, add/drop, late registration and other registration specific information can be found on the Office of the Registrar website at:

Procedure for Registration     (top of page)

Registration is achieved by logging on to myUT portal at  Enter your UTAD username and password then select the “Self Service” tab and follow the student links to Registration. If you experience difficulties with your UTAD account, activate or reset your password at or call the help desk at 419.530.2400. 

Course Load     (top of page)

For all full-time graduate students, depending on your program, the normal course load is 12-15 credits per semester and 9-11 credits for summer semester. Special authorization is required for a course load beyond 18 credits per semester. Students receiving predoctoral fellowship/graduate research assistantship awards must continuously register for a minimum of 15 credits each semester (9-11 credits each summer semester). Students receiving MSBS premaster awards must continuously register for a minimum of 12 credits each semester (9-11 credits each summer semester).  Students receiving tuition scholarships must be full-time (12-15 credits) until they have completed the didactic courses on their Plan of Study.  No more than 15 credits per semester will be covered by a student's tuition scholarship.

Cooperative Registration Agreement - BGSU/UT   (top of page)

The BGSU/UT Cooperative Registration Agreement allows graduate students at one institution to enroll and receive graduate credit for classes offered at another institution. Credit and grades earned at the host institution count as resident credit (not as transfer credit) at the home institution. 

Approval by the Graduate Dean or Associate Dean of the home institution or campus is required for each registration before a student receives credit and a grade for the class in which s/he is enrolled. In addition, UT Health Science Campus students who enroll via the Cooperative Registration Agreement at BGSU are required to complete a minimum of 67% of their required course work at UT Health Science Campus. Part-time graduate students who participate in the program pay the instructional and general fees, and, if applicable, the non-resident fees at the host institution on a per credit basis. Instructional and non-resident fees will be waived by the host institution for graduate students who have paid full-time instructional and non-resident fees at their home institution, or who are graduate assistants, teaching fellows, or recipients of tuition scholarship awards at their home institution. Courses may be audited by co-op students, but there will be no fee waivers/tuition scholarships honored for courses that are audited.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses     (top of page)

Seniors at an accredited U.S. institution, under certain circumstances, may be permitted to register for graduate courses. In order to qualify, students must be matriculated at their home undergraduate institution and have completed 90 semester credits (135 quarter credits) with at least a 3.0 GPA. Students must have the permission of their undergraduate advisors from their home institution, the instructor of the graduate course, and the Associate Dean for Health Sciences of the College of Graduate Studies.

Approved undergraduate students should register as Non-degree Students using the Non-Degree Application Form.

Credit earned in this manner cannot be used for both undergraduate credit at the home institution and graduate credit at UT if the student subsequently matriculates at UT.

Enrollment after Defense or Project Presentation     (top of page)

Student MUST be enrolled in the term in which they graduate.  Students that do not submit their final thesis/dissertations or projects by the posted end of semester deadline must continue to register for at least one credit hour for thesis/dissertation or scholarly project research until the final submission of the final paper/project.  Students are not permitted to enroll as degree students after they have completed all of the course work on their Plan of Study and have defended their thesis or dissertation or presented their scholarly project. Students wishing to enroll for courses other than thesis/disseration or scholarly project research hours past the defense or presentation must apply for special status.

Continuous Enrollment     (top of page)

Graduate Students who have completed their course work and are working on their project, thesis, or dissertation and/or are using university facilities and services (i.e., the library, health services, computer services, laboratories, consult with faculty, apply for graduation, etc.) must be registered. 

A student receiving a predoctoral fellowship/graduate research assistantship award, premaster fellowship award, or a master's tuition scholarship must be continuously enrolled. Students in the Occupational Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, Physical Therapy, Clinical Nurse Leader - Graduate Entry, and certain certificate programs also must be continuously enrolled.

Enrollment on another campus for courses approved on the Plan of Study will be considered as continuous enrollment and identification cards will be validated upon presentation of proof of registration.

Students who do not enroll for any course work for more than two academic semesters (excluding summer) will have their matriculation closed and will be required to apply for readmission.   Students who apply for graduation during the summer term must also be registered for a minimum of one graduate credit hour.  A student who is not enrolled in the College of Graduate Studies at the University of Toledo is not allowed to participate in graduate academic activities (except for library use).  Access to certain other facilities and services, such as the Student Recreation Center and parking, will require additional user fees.

Late Registration Fee     (top of page)

Specific information regarding late registration and any associated fees can be found at:

Leave of Absence     (top of page)

All graduate students must be approved for a leave of absence whenever s/he is not enrolled as a student. A request for a leave of absence may be made using the Request for Leave of Absence Form

If the leave is for three semesters or less, the student remains in good standing. If the leave is for more than three semesters, the student will be required to reapply to the College of Graduate Studies. Such student will be required to compete for available positions, and will not automatically be guaranteed re-admission or a predoctoral fellowship/ graduate research assistantship, premaster fellowship award, or master's tuition scholarship upon return. 

Health Requirements     (top of page)

General Requirements

All graduate students entering UT Health Science Campus must demonstrate minimal immunization requirements. Required minimum immunizations and health screening include:

  1. Tetanus-diphtheria booster, adult booster, within the past 10 years.
  2. Two MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) immunizations IF the student was born after 1/1/57.  Any student who has had measles, mumps, or rubella during his/her lifetime requires no further immunization. This immunity may be documented through a blood test called a “titer” which must demonstrate a “positive” result.  If the titer is “negative” the student must receive the appropriate vaccine.
  3. One Mantoux-type (intradermal TB screening with PPD (purified protein derivative) done in the USA within 12 months prior to matriculation. If you are an international student or an American living outside of the USA, you must have the PPD skin test done by University Health Service (UHS) when you arrive on campus. The test must be read by University Health Service before the student is allowed to attend class.

 If TB Screening Results Are Positive:

  • Students who have a positive PPD at the UHS or elsewhere must meet with a UHS health provider to answer questions, discuss treatment options and risks, have required lab work done, and complete an “Annual BCG/Positive PPD Follow-up Check List” on signs and symptoms of TB. If the student is in agreement, the recommended therapy is initiated.
  • Students who have a positive PPD at UHS or elsewhere also must have a chest x-ray at University Medical Center or the Lucas County Health Department before they can attend classes.
  • Students with a positive x-ray must consult with a health provider regarding treatment. If treatment is recommended the student must initiate treatment before attending classes.

All graduate students who will be having contact with patients, human tissue or involved with primate research also are required to complete:

  1. Hepatitis B vaccination series (series of three).
  2. Lab testing for Hepatitis B surface antibody (HBsAB) 1-2 months after the Hepatitis B vaccination series is completed.

The Hepatitis B series can be completed at UT University Health Services at cost.

NOTE:  Students may have additional health requirements depending on their specific area of study i.e., health sciences professions, nursing and MD/PhD students.

Immunizations and Lab Titers

University Health Service at UT is able to complete student Hepatitis B series, and Hepatitis B surface antibody can be performed at University Health Services during the student’s initial semester. 

After students have approved registration for classes, there will be NO CHARGE for annual TB screening, adult tetanus boosters, and annual influenza vaccine given at UHS. Students may incur charges for pre-matriculation health requirements provided by UHS.

Documentation Requirements

Toverify immunization and screening, ONLY the following will be accepted:

  1. Official letterhead from physician or health department containing original signature, the date of verification statement, and the date(s) the immunization(s) was administered.
  2. The official childhood immunization record.  If the immunization record is not in English, a notarized translation in English MUST accompany the copy of the original record.
  3. Completed UT health form with physician signature and legible address stamp.

Graduate Research ADvisory (GRAD) Committee Approval & Assurances Form     (top of page)

(GRAD Form Link)

Students must complete this form and receive the required approvals prior to beginning any research for a project, thesis, or dissertation involving humans, animals, radiation, or biohazardous substances.  Federal regulations do not allow retroactive approval.  Completion of the GRAD form indicates that a student’s advisor and/or committee has approved both a topic and an approach for the research, and is aware of federal requirements for institutional review of research methods.  Policy information and required applications referenced on the GRAD form are available on the Research & Sponsored Programs website .

This form normally should be completed at the time the student determines the nature of the research project.  However, in all cases the student must have submitted the form demonstrating compliance before engaging in related research.  Failure to obtain the proper approvals could prevent or significantly delay the awarding of the degree. Compliance with federal and state regulations is essential to assure continued funding of the University research programs and, therefore, requires cooperation of all University researchers.

If a student works on a project that is supported by a research grant or contract between the University and an external entity or entities, the student must comply with all terms of the grant or contract.  Contractual agreements in support of research or other sponsored activities are legally binding on the University, including the administration, faculty and students engaged in the sponsored projects.

Patent Policy (The Intellectual Property and Patent Sign-off Form)     (top of page)

All students should become familiar with the UT Intellectual Property and Patent Policy and with their obligations defined in this policy. Significant points in this policy include obligations to promptly disclose patentable intellectual inventories and discoveries to UT and to assign all rights in discoveries/inventions to UT in accordance with the UT patent policy and Section 3345.12 of the Ohio Revised Code. In return, net income from patent will be split between UT and inventor. 

All graduate students are required to sign the Intellectual Property and Patent Sign-off Form for potentially patentable inventions and discoveries arising from scholarly activities while a student at the University of Toledo.

Contact with Research Animals     (top of page)

Graduate students who average 20 or more hours per week contact with research animals must have medical surveillance prior to working with animals, annually while working with animals, and after completing their work with animals. Students with any contact with research animals must be vaccinated for Tetanus.

Liability Insurance     (top of page)

All students (including MPH, certificate and non-degree students) must be covered with liability insurance through the University of Toledo. For information regarding fees for liability insurance, please go the the website of the Office of the Treasurer:

Student Records     (top of page)

Graduate students at the University of Toledo may inspect official records, files, and data directly relating to themselves as set forth under the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Review of student records and information released therefrom shall conform to University policy.


GRADUATE CREDIT     (top of page)

Academic Standards     (top of page)

All students in graduate study programs are expected to maintain a minimum of 3.0 GPA for all courses taken at UT. A student working on a second degree at UT must maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA on the current degree. A minimum GPA of 3.0 (B) is required to graduate. A grade of B or higher constitutes satisfactory work in the College of Graduate Studies. The grade of C is the minimum passing grade for earned graduate credit. A maximum number of credits of C may be on a candidate’s Plan of Study as per the student's program.  Please consult your specific program for maximum number of credits allowable.
A student who exceeds the maximum for their degree program will be subject to dismissal. A student who receives two or more grades of D or F or WF will be subject to dismissal.

Professional Graduate (PG) Courses     (top of page)

Professional Graduate (PG) courses are College of Medicine (Medical School) courses taught by the faculty of the College of Medicine. Graduate credit can be earned by students who enroll in these courses designated PG. To enroll in a PG course, a student must have been accepted into a degree program. After the completion of the first academic year, a student can only enroll in PG courses that are on the student’s approved Plan of Study.

Repetition of Courses     (top of page)

Courses may be repeated using the following procedures:

  1. Agraduate student, with the permission of the instructor and the Associate Dean of the College of Graduate Studies, may repeat once any course previously taken where the grade received was below a B. Tuition Scholarship cannot be used to repeat a course to improve a grade.
  2. Credits for a repeated course shall in no case be counted more than once in meeting graduation requirements.  Both grades will remain on the student's transcript, however, only the most recent grade will be counted in determining the GPA of the student.
  3. Whenever a course is repeated under the terms specified above, it must be so indicated on the registration form at the time of registration.
  4. This procedure may be used for only two courses. If a student repeats more than two courses, for those courses in excess of the allowed two courses, both grades will remain on the student’s transcript and both grades will be counted in determining the GPA of the student.

Audited Courses     (top of page)

Audited courses do not count for full-time enrollment or receive a grade. Such courses may be added to the maximum full schedule of a student.

UT Residency Requirement for Degree     (top of page)

Students must complete a minimum of two-thirds of the total credit requirements at the University of Toledo except for the requirements for the MPH degree.

Students will not be permitted to perform research at another institution except under exceptional circumstances. Prior permission to perform research elsewhere must be obtained from the Associate Dean of the College of Graduate Studies. The graduate student and her/his major advisor must submit in writing to the Associate Dean the rationale for how this off-campus work will uniquely benefit both the student and UT.

Transfer of Credit     (top of page)

Some graduate credit earned at other institutions may be transferred to UT with the following provisions:

  1. Application for transfer of graduate credit must be made only after the student has been admitted and the requested transferred graduate credit has been approved on the Plan of Study.
  2. Transfer of graduate credit is limited to a maximum of 12 credits or one-third of the total number of didactic credits required for the degree. Transfer of graduate credit for certificate programs is limited to a maximum of one-fourth of the total number of credits for the award of a certificate.
  3. Transfer of credit for courses earned from a foreign institution will be considered only after receipt of an evaluation of the credentials from a foreign credential agency. A list of acceptable credential agencies is on file in the International Student office on Main Campus. The evaluation will be at the student's expense.
  4. No transfer of graduate credit will be permitted for courses in which a grade less than B was earned or for courses graded S/U/E or P/F.
  5. Courses used for transfer credit must have been taken no more than 7 years prior to entering the UT program for which the transfer credit is applied.
  6. Grades earned in courses accepted for transfer will not be computed in the GPA issued by the University of Toledo.
  7. Implementation of the transfer of credit is made after approval of the student's Plan of Study for MSN, MSOH, and MSBS students; implementation for PhD students must be requested and approved by the Associate Dean, College of Graduate Studies.

Inrequesting transfer of graduate credit, advisors are asked to furnish evidence that the courses to be transferred are graduate level courses. Appropriate documentation is, for example, a photocopy of the course description from the bulletin/catalog of the university or college at which the courses were taken. 

Transfer of graduate credit to the student's permanent record requires an official transcript from the institution at which the course(s) was taken and approval of the student's Plan of Study. 

Other Credit     (top of page)

  1. Students simultaneously pursuing a master and/or doctoral degree from UT may use a maximum of six credits toward degree and certificate completion requirements.
  2. Credits earned to complete a graduate certificate program (at UT Health Science Campus within five years of application) may be applied toward a master or doctoral degree at UT Health Science Campus pending approval of the student’s official Plan of Study.

GRADES POLICY     (top of page)

Grading policy for graduate courses is established by the instructor(s) of each course.  It is the policy of the College of Graduate Studies on the Health Science Campus that instructors notify students during the first class meeting of the grading policy to be used for the course.

Grading and Point System

For information on the Grading Point System and an explanation of each grade, please click on the Grading Policy section of the Office of the Registrar Website:

Alteration of Grades Procedure     (top of page)

Anacademic grade appeal is one in which a graduate student disputes a particular grade.  Appeals dealing with academic dishonesty, including but not limited to cheating and plagiarism, are explicitly exempt from this process and shall be dealt with under the Academic Dishonesty Appeal Procedure.

The following procedure is to be used to arrive at a resolution of the grievance.  The academic grade appeal must be initiated within the semester following receipt of the contested grade.  If a resolution is not reached at a given step of the procedure, the graduate student or the faculty member may proceed to the next level by filing an appeal in writing within fourteen (14) days of receipt of the last decision rendered.

Atstep 1, the student will attempt to resolve the issue by discussing the grounds for appeal, first with the faculty member.  If no resolution can be reached, the student may appeal in writing within seven (7) days, to the chair of the faculty member’s department.  Either the student or the faculty member may provide the Department Chair with additional relevant information.  The Department Chair is to issue his/her determination within fourteen (14) days of receiving the written appeal.  If no resolution is reached at this level, the student may appeal to the College Dean who shall review all relevant documentation and may interview the student and faculty member involved.  The Dean may request a recommendation from the appropriate College committee.  If no resolution can be reached within fourteen (14) days of the receipt of the appeal, the Dean is to issue his decision, which may be appealed by either the student or the faculty member to the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies, who shall review all relevant information, and if appropriate, interview the student or faculty member involved before recommending a resolution.

Atthe fourth level of appeal, the Academic Standing Committee of the Graduate Council will review all documentation and may permit the student and faculty member to make an oral presentation of their respective positions.  The Committee will then render a final decision within fourteen (14) days based upon all evidence presented.  The student presenting the appeal may have counsel present at the oral presentation but solely in an advisory capacity. 

Steps of the Academic Grade Appeal:

  1. Discuss the grade with the instructor involved.  If no mutually agreeable resolution can be achieved, either party may present in writing his/her position to the chair of the department.
  2. If the problem is not resolved at the department level, either party may appeal in writing to the Dean of the college.
  3. If mutual resolution cannot be reached at the College Dean’s level, either party may present the grade dispute to the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies.
  4. The Dean’s decision may be appealed to the Committee on Academic Standing of the Graduate Council and its decision shall be binding on all parties.  This step completes the appeal process.

The decision of the Academic Standing Committee will be communicated to the College of Graduate Studies, the student and the faculty member and will be implemented by the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies.

Academic Grievance (Including Dismissal from Program)
In the event that a graduate student has an academic grievance he or she should attempt to resolve the problem by adhering to the following procedure:

  1. Discuss the problem with the instructor involved.
  2. If no resolution can be achieved, the student should see the Dean of the college.
  3. If a resolution has been unsuccessful at the College dean’s level, the student may present the grievance to the College of Graduate Studies.
  4. The final appeal can be made to the Committee on Academic Standing of the Graduate Council and its decision shall be binding on all parties involved in the grievance.

Graduate students must file the initial grievance with the instructor and a copy to the department no later than one semester after the occurrence of the incident.  If students desire to proceed to the next level of appeal, they must file within one month of the last rendered decision until final resolution of the grievance.


Last Updated: 6/26/15