- Cardiovascular & Metabolic Diseases Graduate Program Track (CVMD)
- CeDER - Center for Diabetes and Endocrine Research
- Center for Hypertension and
- ASPET Zannoni Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
Health Science Campus
Block Health Science Building
2nd Floor, Room # 282
- M.D., Medicine, 1995, Khaarkov State Medical School, Kharkov, Ukraine.
- Ph.D., Cancer Biology, 2003, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan.
- Rotating Intern-Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, University of Ghana, Accra Ghana, 1995-1996.
- Medical Resident-Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana, 1996-1998.
- Graduate Student, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 1998-2003.
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Departments of Internal Medicine/Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2003-2008.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology, University of Toledo, College of Medicine, Toledo, Ohio, 2008.
Investigating the perturbations in the signaling pathways, which are involved in the mechanisms of obesity, fatty liver disease and diabetes. The laboratory is also investigating the pathways linking metabolic disorders with osteosarcoma, an aggressive malignancy of the bone, to determine its role in tumor progression and drug resistance.
- Jiang N, Meng Y, Zhang S, Mensah-Osman E., Sheng S. Maspin sensitizes breast carcinoma cells to induce apoptosis. Oncogene, 13;21 (26):4089-4098. (2002)
- Mensah-Osman E., Al-Katib A., Mohammad R., 2-[4-(7-chloro-2-quinoxalinyloxyphenoxy]-propionic acid (XK469) inhibition of topoiomerase IIβ, is not sufficient for therapeutic response in human Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Xenograft Model. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 1(14):1315-1320. (2002)
- Mensah-Osman E., Al-Katib A., Wu H-Y., Osman N., Mohammad R. XK469 (2-[4-(7chloro-2-[4-(7-chloro-2-quinoxalinyloxyphenoxy]-propionic acid), an inhibitor of topoisomerase IIβ, up-regulates topoisomerase llα-mediated cytoxicity, Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 1 (14):1321-1326. (2002)
- Al-Katib AM., Mensah-Osman E., Aboukameel A., Mohammad R. The WSU-WM Pre-clinical Model for Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia. Seminars in Oncology, 30(2):313-317. (2003)
- Mensah-Osman, E., Al-Katib AM., Dandashi, MH, Mohammad RM. XK469, A topo II beta inhibitor, induces apoptosis in Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia through multiple pathways. International Journal of Oncology, 23:2325-2331. (2003)
- Mensah-Osman E., Al-Katib A., Mohammad R. Preclinical evaluation of 2-[4-(7-chloro-2-quinoxalinyloxyphenoxy]-propionic acid as a modulator of Etoposide in human Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia Xenograft Model. Clinical Cancer Research, 15;9 (15):5794-5797. (2003)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, Dafydd Thomas, Thomas Giordano, Michelle Lizyness, Paul Hollenberg and Laurence Baker. Expression levels and activation of a PXR variant are directly related to drug resistance in osteosarcoma cell lines. Cancer, Mar1; 109(5): 957-965. (2007)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, Yana Zavros, Dave Law, Dana Jackson, Ed Labut, Juanita Merchant. Regulated expression of the human gastrin gene in gastrin-deficient mice. Regulatory Peptides, nov 29; 151(1-3):115-122. (2008)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, Yana Zavros and Juanita Merchant. Somatostatin stimulates menin expression by inhibiting protein kinase A. American Journal of Physiology (Gastrointest Liver Physiol) Oct; 295(4):G843-G854. (2008)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, Tamara Tucker and Juanita Merchant. Somatostatin inhibits gastrin by modulating the menin-JunD complex on the gastin promoter. (submitted to JBC)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, Paul Hollenberg and Laurence Baker. Ecteinascidin 743 accumulates PXR in the cytoplasm and is potent inhibitor of cytochrome P450s 3A4 and 2B6 enzymatic activities: Implications for enhancement of the cytotoxicity of chemotherapeutic agents in osteosarcoma. (submitted to DMD)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, Yves Pommier, Paul Hollenberg and Laurence Baker. XPD regulates transcription of P450 3A4 and mediates sensitivity to ET743 independent of PXR expression. (manuscript in preparation)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, Sayf Al-Katib, Paul Hollenberg and Laurence Baker. PXR activation causes significant cell proliferation in osteosarcoma cell lines. (manuscript in preparation)
- Edith Mensah-Osman, and Juanita Merchant. Mice heterozygous or homozygous for either the conditional null or complete menin null allele exhibit hypergastrinemia and dysplastic changes in the distal part of the duodenum (manuscript in preparation)