6200 Bayshore Rd.
Welcome to the LEC
- Lake Erie Center Home
- Our Mission
- Upcoming Events
- Faculty, Staff & Students
- News & Reports
- Education & Outreach
- Prospective Students
- NSF GK-12 Program
- NSF URM Program
- FOLEC (Friends of the LEC)
- UT Sustainability
- Natural Sciences & Mathematics
- Sigma Xi
- Maps and Directions
- Contact Us
- View the Summer 2014
LEC Newsletter (PDF, 1.2 mb)
- View our recent press releases
- Lake Erie Center Weather Station
- View streaming video from our recent public lectures
- Learn about our Environmental Sensor Network
6200 Bayshore Rd.
Oregon, OH 43616
- M.S. Thesis Defense, Patty Armenio (advisor: Dr. Christine Mayer), Nutrient contributions from Dreissena spp. to
Lyngbya wollei and Cladophora glomerata. Thursday, December 16, 10 am, LEC Room 155.
- Student Watershed Watch Summit, November 16, 2010, University of Toledo. Visit our Gk-12 page for more information about SWW.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. R. Michael McKay, Bowling Green State University, "Life under Ice: Winter Biodiversity
Implications of Climate Change on the Lake Erie Ecosystem." Thursday, November 18, 2010, 7:00 pm, LEC Room 155.
- 10th Annual Great Lakes Water Conference, Friday, November 5, 2010, University of Toledo College of Law Auditorium.
Sponsored by University of Toledo College of Law and its affiliated Legal Institute
of the Great Lakes. Download the brochure (PDF).
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. Mohamed Faisal, Michigan State University, "Emerging Infections may threaten Great
fisheries." Thursday, October 21, 2010, 7:00 pm, LEC Room 155.
- WLEB Leadership Meeting, Tuesday, October 12, 2010, 12 pm.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. David F. Reid, NOAA-Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab, "Ballast Water Discharge
the Real World - the Verification Sticky Wicket." Thursday, September 30, 2010, 7:00 pm, LEC Room 155.
- Ohio Coastweeks Event: Bayshore Cleanup, Friday, September 24, 2010, beginning at 9 am. For a full list of all Ohio
Coastweeks events, click here (PDF). Ohio
Coastweeks is sponsored in part by the Ohio Lake Erie Commission.
- Brown Bag Talk, Dr. Ernest Khurshut, Uzbek Academy of Sciences,"Invasive Fishes in the Aral Sea Basin,
Tuesday, September 21, 2010, 4 pm, LEC 155.
- Nature on Maumee Bay, Summer Science Camp for kids. One week summer science camp featuring laboratory exercises, art and outdoor
activities. For entering 4th and 5th graders. July 26 - 30 (5 days), 9 am - 12 pm.
- Brown Bag Lunch Talk, Dr. Elly Spijkerman, University of Potsdam, Germany, "CO2 and P acquisition in single
nutrient and co-limited
phytoplankton," Wednesday, June 30, 1:00 pm, LEC Room 155.
- Lake Erie Commission Public Meeting, Wednesday, June 23, 2010, Lake Erie Center Room 155.
- EnviroSafe Public Meeting, Thursday, June 17, 2010, Lake Erie Center Room 155.
- Public Lecture Series, Thomas Nalepa, NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, "The offshore
expansion of quagga
mussels and its ecological impacts." Thursday, May 13, 2010, 6:30 pm. LEC Room 155.
- Earthfest 2010, Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 11:00 am - 4:00 pm, at the Centennial Mall on the University of Toledo main
campus. (The Lake Erie Center will have a display.)
- GK-12 Poster Gala, Thursday, April 22, 2010, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm. RSVP required.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. Richard Moore, Ohio State University, "Bridging the social and natural sciences
ecology: The Sugar Creek case." Thursday, April 15, 2010, 6:30 pm. LEC Room 155.
- International Joint Commission Public Meeting, Thursday, March 25, 7:00 pm, Lake Erie Center Room 155. They will be
talking about Upper Great Lakes water levels. For more information, click here.
- Brown Bag Talk, Dr. Ronald Oldfield, Department of Biology, Case Western Reserve University, "Integrating
and neuroendocrinology to study the evolution of, and to conserve, biodiversity."
Friday, March 19, 12:00 pm. LEC Room 155.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. George S. Bullerjahn, Bowling Green State University, "Nitrification in the Great
Lakes -- microbes
rule!" Thursday, March 18, 2010, 6:30 pm. LEC Room 155.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. Richard Becker, University of Toledo, "Lake Erie from space: environmental parameters
and harmful algal
blooms." Thursday, February 18, 2010, 6:30 pm. LEC Room 155.
- Public Lecture Series, Dr. David B. Baker, Director Emeritus, National Center for Water Quality Research,
"Healthy Row Crop Agriculture and a Healthy Lake Erie: An Impossible Dream?" Thursday, January 21, 2010, 6:30 pm. LEC Room 155.
- Winning photographs from the 2009 "Nature of Maumee Bay" photo contest were announced, Thursday, January 21, 2010, 5:30 pm.