LAKE ERIE CENTER USE POLICIES
Lake Erie Center Vehicle Use Policy
1. Use of the vehicles is restricted to official Lake Erie Center business. Personal use of vehicles is prohibited.
2. Reservations are required. The blue van and white truck may be reserved by using the vehicle calendars posted at the west end of the laboratory hallway at the LEC. The white van and CRV must be reserved through an LEC staff member and must have the Director’s approval (see #3). The CRV is normally reserved for use by the LEC staff but may be checked out as long as the director approves.
3. All trips in the CRV and white van require submission of a vehicle use form with the Director's signature. If the Director is not available, LEC staff may sign with the Director’s approval.
4. Signing a vehicle out for an extended period of time (longer than 2 days) is discouraged unless the LEC Director receives early notification of such plans and has no objection.
5. Vehicles may not be parked at a residence or other non-university or non-conference/meeting-related location overnight without the Director’s permission.
6. While operating LEC vehicles, safety procedures and all laws must be followed. Talking on a cell phone, texting, and/or consuming alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited. Wearing seatbelts is mandatory and the number of passengers is, at all times, limited by the number of seatbelts. The vehicle must be turned off, locked, and the keys removed anytime it is left unattended. The user is responsible for all expenses accrued during the period of use including, parking tickets, tolls, gas, etc.
7. Use of the vehicles is restricted to LEC resident faculty, staff, and graduate students on the University’s approved list of potential drivers, and solely for projects that credit the LEC and that pay indirect costs to the LEC. All drivers need to have a valid U.S. driver’s license and must complete an online defensive driving course, which must be renewed periodically (log in to MyUT to access the training; see LEC staff if you have questions about taking the class).
8. Immediately after each trip, vehicles need to be parked in their designated area at the LEC, cleaned, vacuumed (shop vac is located in the storage room by the wet lab; there is an outlet on the west side of the building, to the right of the back double doors with the keypad), and refueled when returned with ¾ of a tank or less (make refueling arrangements in advance). Back seats of the vans need to be reinstalled if they were removed, rear seats of the CRV must be raised if they were lowered. The vehicle log in the vehicle must be completed (i.e., mileage, time in/time out, trip purpose, and user name and cell phone number) and keys must be returned promptly in person to the Building Manager or an LEC staff person.
9. Cancellation of a planned trip should be done in a timely manner so that others can reserve the vehicle.
10. Mechanical problems, any damages incurred, or any unusual noises or behaviors should be reported immediately to Tom Hodges, Building Manager.
11. Insurance and registration documentation must remain in the vehicle at all times.
12. Carpooling arrangements must be made by emailing the entire LEC ahead of time to determine if anyone else is attending the same meeting or conference.
13. Individual labs may not simultaneously check out more than one LEC vehicle unless the Director grants permission.
- Blue Dodge van: can accommodate up to 7 passengers. Rear seats can be removed to accommodate gear and fewer passengers. May be used for fieldwork, conference travel, etc.
- White Dodge van: can accommodate up to 7 passengers. Primarily for conference and group travel. Not for field work or trips to the boat.
- Blue Honda CRV: may be reserved for non-field use, provided it is not needed by the LEC director and staff, who have priority. Not for field work or trips to the boat.
- Green pickup truck: for LEC facility and very short trips.
- White pickup truck: for short trips, field work, trips to the boat, etc.