Connect With Us
Resources and Links
- Blackboard/WebCT Login
- College Catalog
- Career Series Bulletin
- Drug Information Resources
- Experiential Education
- Honors Program
- Library/Learning Resources
- Research Opportunities for CPPS Students
- Student Affairs
- Student Organizations
Health Science Campus
Frederic and Mary Wolfe Center
- Pharmacy Practice
- Patient Care
- Department Research
- Faculty and Staff
- Continuing Education
- Important Links
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Health Outcomes and Socioeconomic Sciences
- Department Highlights
- Department Publications
- Department Abstracts and Presentations
- Department Service Activity
- Profession Leadership
Department of Pharmacy Practice Ongoing Research 2010-2011
- Lucas County MTM program
- City of Toledo Diabetes Project
- Toledo/Lucas County CareNet MTM program
- Decision Modeling/Pharmacist Intervention Study with the Pharmacy Counter
- Electronic Medical Record Project
- Choose Ohio First Grant: Pharmacy Scholarships for UC/UT Pharmacy Partnership Program
- Evaluation of risk factors for the development of nephrotoxicity with concomitant use of vancomycin
- Evaluation of duration and type of antibiotic exposure on the development of Clostridium difficile infection
- Effect of MIC of piperacillin/tazobactam on clinical outcomes in patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections treated with piperacillin/tazobactam
- Evaluation of Vancomycin Pharmacokinetics in Obese Patients
- Retrospective Cohort of Extended-Infusion Piperacillin/Tazobactam (RECEIPT): A Multicenter Study
- Clinical Outcome Associated with Various Treatments for Clostridium difficile
- Clinical Outcome of Antifungal Treatment for Candidemia
- Retrospective evaluation of surgical antimicrobial prophylaxis; Appropriateness of therapy and assessment of infection rates.
- Gentamicin and Vancomycin Clearance during Modeled Slow Low Efficiency Dialysis (SLED): an In vitro Study. PI Mariann D. Churchwell.
- Tobramycin and Vancomycin Clearance during Modeled Slow Low Efficiency Dialysis (SLED): an In vitro Study. PI Mariann D. Churchwell, Co-I Steven J. Martin.
- Retrospective Evaluation of Cyclosporine and Sirolimus in Adult Kidney Transplant Patients. PI: Shobha Ratnam Co- Investigators: Mariann Churchwell, Michael Rees.
- Retrospective analysis of urinary tract infections in renal transplant patients at UTMC. PI: Mariann Churchwell Co- Investigator: Shobha Ratnam.
- Retrospective evaluation of the use of an albumin-furosemide infusion in patients with acute kidney injury. PI: Mariann D. Churchwell, Co-Investigators: Joseph Williams, Deepak Malhotra. IRB approved retrospective study (Unfunded Research)
- Pharmacy Manager’s Perceptions of Management Skills Needed by New Pharmacists; pilot study completed in summer 2009 in conjunction with Lucas Blazejewski; Nationwide study to be performed in academic year 2010-2011.
- Clinical Outcomes Related to Diabetes, Hypertension, and Mammogram Screening in Toledo-Lucas County CareNet Patients; Results of Hypertension and Mammogram screening components ongoing.
- Ramasamy A, Pinto S, Holiday-Goodman M, Black C. “Patient Adherence to Chronic Disease Medications in a Medication Therapy Management Program in Lucas County.” To be submitted to Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy by 09-30-10.
- Dotson B, Martin SJ, Jung R, Churchwell MD. “Circuit survival time with epoprostenol, unfractionated heparin, or the combination in critically ill patients receiving continuous venovenous hemodiafiltration.”
- Sahloff E, Jung R. “The effect of internet information on patients and their patients-Prescriber Relationship.”
- Ratnam S, Jung R, Churchwell MD. "Retrospective evaluation of calcineurin inhibitors and sirolimus in adult kidney transplant patients."
- Yost RJ, Jung R, Cappelletty DM. Retrospective cohort of extended-infusion piperacillin/tazobactam (RECEIPT): A multicenter study."
- Cappelletty DM, Jung R. "Observational study to evaluate nephrotoxicity associated with vancomycin use."
- Zhang YJ, Armialchuk A, Jung R, Holiday-Goodman M. “Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Quality of Health Care among Adults with Diabetes in the United States.”
- Blazejewski L, Jung R, Sahloff EG. “Pharmacoeconomic study of first-line HAART in treatment-Naïve HIV-infected patients."
- Sahloff EG, Jung R. “Durability of HAART in treatment of HIV-infected patients."
- Nesamony JJN, Jung R. "Sterility of microemulsion."
- Nesamony JJN, Jung R. "Antimicrobial activity of microemulsion against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus."
- Intravenous compatibility of cardiovascular agents; Sotalol with heparin and other intravenous anticoagulants
- Research Topic I. Microemulsion based formulations: Microemulsions form spontaneously when oil, water, and surfactants are mixed in appropriate proportions. Our research in this area includes developing pharmaceutically relevant microemulsions for parenteral delivery of proteins and polypeptides and self nanoemusifying drug delivery systems for oral delivery of poorly water soluble anti-infective agents.
- Project 1. Microemulsions of Isopropyl Myristate, Ethyl Oleate, Polypropylene Glycol ther, Aerosol-OT, and lecithin - Development and characterization.
- Project 2. Self Nanoemulsifying Compositions: We have developed several self nanoemulsifying delivery systems in our lab. The utility of these delivery systems for oral administration of medicinal substances is being currently tested. We hope to use these formulations to deliver poorly water-soluble anti-infective agents.
- Research Topic II. Nanotechnology: My research in this area is focused on exploring biomimetic strategies for synthesizing nanoparticles.
- Project 1. Calcium Alginate Nanoparticles: My research group is developing and synthesizing calcium alginate nanoparticles. The potential of these nanoparticles in drug delivery is being evaluated.
- Project 2. Solid Lipid Nanoparticles: My research group is developing novel methods through which solid lipid nanoparticles are synthesized. Solid lipid nanoparticles developed in our lab will be evaluated for application in the areas of targeted drug delivery to treat brain cancer and topical delivery to treat skin cancer.
- Research Topic III. Topical and Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems: Microemulsion based formulations and self gelling formulations intended for topical/transdermal delivery of medicinal substances are being developed and evaluated.
- Project 2. Self gelling compositions of oil, water, and surfactants: We are confident that products developed in this project are patentable discoveries. Our researcfh group continues to comjprehensively characterize the gels developed in our lab.
- Confidence/Competence in PEF meter and AAP use among P3 students
- Pharmacy Experiential Student Tool for Learning Evaluation (PESTLE)
- Online Pharmacotherapy textbook reading
- Using research on Seminar reliability, evaluator leniency, validity
- Implementing Team-Based Learning into a new Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapeutics course
- Ohio Physicians’ Intent to Adopt Electronic Prescribing
- Patient Adherence to Chronic Disease Medications in a Medication Therapy Management Program in Lucas County
- Lucas County Medication Therapy Management Program
- City of Toledo Medication Therapy Management Program
- CareNet Medication Therapy Management Program
- Comparison of HIV Patient Satisfaction with Mail-order Vs Conventional Pharmacy Practice
- The InOut Study: Mapping interventions to outcomes
- Evaluating the pharmacist-physician MTM collaborative relationship using patient Outcomes
- Practicing Pharmacists' Beliefs Regarding Introductory Pharmacy Practice
- The Impact of Academic Detailing on Prescribing Patterns and its Effect on Quality of Life and Work Productivity of Patients with GERD
- Barrier to Smoking Cessation in HIV patients
- Gender Differences in Physician Prescribing Behavior
- Electronic health record outcomes project
- Pharmacists Counseling Practices for Obese Patients
- Use of medical websites by HIV-infected patients
- Barriers to smoking cessation in HIV-infected patients
- Nutritional Evaluation of HIV patients
- Cost consequences of wait listing in AIDS drug assistance program (ADAP) Durability of initial and subsequent HAART regimens
- Cost effectiveness of initial regimens in antiretroviral naïve patients
- HIV patient satisfaction with pharmacy services provided In a mail-order vs. community pharmacy setting
- Impact of cost sharing levels on overuse of short acting bronchodilators and underuse of controller drugs among patients with asthma. (Grant proposal in progress for New Pharmacy Faculty Research Awards Program American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy)
- Statin use among elderly patients with diabetes: This study explores impact of Medicare Part D benefits on adherence to statin use among elderly diabetics using a national dataset
- Economic impact of initiating HIV medication therapy: This study will analyze and compare economic implications of starting HIV at different time points and disease progression levels. (Co PI with Eric Sahloff)
- Preventive care services utilization patterns and role of pharmacist: This study is aimed at identifying and analyzing utilization of preventive care services that could be provided by a pharmacist.