Promoting Your Event
Successfully advertising your event at UT can be a daunting task! Utilize these resources and tips to help get the word out!
Rocket Blast: Weekly emails sent to all current UT students.
Do you want your event promoted via Rocket Blast? You must send a .jpeg or .png image of a flyer or picture representing your event/organization to email@example.com, Subject: Rocket Blast. The email must include the student organization hosting event, date, time, location and contact information for an org member. Depending on when event is and when the flyer is submitted, the flyer will run in Rocket Blast 2-3 weeks leading up to event.
Rocket Blasts go out every Sunday morning. Submission deadline is every Wednesday at 5:00pm. Submissions received after that time are not guaranteed to be included in Rocket Blast.
Large Publicity Requests in the Student Union
The following avenues for advertising your events can be coordinated through our office.
Student Orgs - Please complete the Student Organization Publicity Application on OrgSync.
- Posting flyers
- Targeted emails
- SUGlass Display Cases
- SU Glass-Covered Bulletin Boards
- Banners in the Atrium of the SU
- Banners on the outside of the SU
- Table reservations
- Outdoor Informational Kiosks
- Student Organization Shadowboxes
For additional advertising resources available to you on campus, refer to the Operating Manual.
Posting Flyers on Campus
All student organization flyers must be approved and stamped by the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership, 3504 SU. Bring ONE flyer to be stamped before you make copies! After making copies, you may drop off 16 flyers to our office and we will make sure they get posted on the bulletin boards in the Student Union.
back to top
Your approved flyer may be posted on bulletin boards in other buildings on campus
Click here for a list of those bulletin boards.
Targeted Emails to Specific Groups of Students
As a recognized student organization, you may request permission to send a targeted email to a specific group of students (defined by age, class, major, etc.). To do so, please complete the Directory Information Request. The staff will oversee obtaining the list and sending your announcement.
All advertisements must include the following:
- Name of sponsoring student organization(s)
- E-mail address or phone number of the sponsoring student organization
- If a foreign language is used, English translation must be posted on same document
- If the organization is funded by the University it must say “The event is funded by student general fees” or “the event is partially funded by…”
- No vulgar, suggestive, or obscene references
- No reference to alcohol or “BYOB” of any kind
Chalking is a great way to promote events on campus; its quick, easy and read by many students, faculty and staff! Because there are specific rules regarding where you can chalk on campus, please share the University of Toledo Chalking Policy with all members of your organization. Failure to adhere to this policy could result in the organization or student(s) being charged with a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and sanctioned appropriately.
The Chalking Policy is as follows:
Chalking is limited to recognized student organizations, UT departments, faculty and staff members, and registered students only. Only water-soluble chalk may be used. Chalking is permitted on the sidewalks of the Main Campus and Scott Park Campus…never the Health Science Campus. The chalking of buildings, newsstands, signs, windows, doors and bus stops are prohibited. The chalking of any vertical surface is prohibited; this includes the black wall near the UT tennis courts. Chalking is not permitted on any surface covered by an overhang. Additionally, chalking is not permitted in the Revin Plaza of the Centennial Mall.
Chalking areas may not be reserved, but must be documented on an Event Request Form (attached). On the form, the event(s) to be advertised must be described.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact any staff member in the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership, 3504, 419-530-4944 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PROMOTIONAL STRATEGIES (PUBLICITY)
There are numerous other opportunities to promote events and programs within the Student Union and on campus. These areas need to be reserved using the Publicity Request Form. Completed forms should be submitted to Student Involvement minimally TWO WEEKS prior to the dates orgs which to publicize their events. Be sure to date/time stamp all submissions! Other promotional opportunities include the following:
• Two Large Glass Display Cases are located in the Student Union South Lounge (2nd Floor), and can be reserved one to two weeks at a time for large scale, three dimensional advertising purposes. Check with the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership for availability when turning in this form. The Office of Student Involvement & Leadership will arrange for your organization to gain key access to the case when you are ready to display your items. Items can be placed in the case on Mondays after 11:00 am. All materials must be removed by Monday at 10:30 a.m.
• Three Glass Covered Bulletin Boards are located on the first (1st) floor of the Student
Union, next to Starbucks, and can be reserved two weeks at a time to promote specific events or activities put on by UT student organizations. Check with the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership for availability when turning in this form. The Office of Student Involvement & Leadership will arrange for your organization to gain key access to the case when you are ready to display your items. Items can be placed in the case on Mondays after 11:00 am. All materials must be removed by Monday at 10:30 a.m.
• Large banners can be hung in the Atrium of the Student Union (ramp area) for up to two weeks of time to promote ongoing organizations or specialized events. After confirmation has been received, bring banner to the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership (SU2525) before 5pm on Friday the week before your reservation. The Office of Student Involvement & Leadership will hang and remove your banner. If your banner has been removed, it can be picked up in the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership, SU3504.
• Large banners can be hung on the outside of the Student Union for up to two weeks to promote ongoing organizations or specialized events. After confirmation has been received, bring banner to the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership (SU3504) before 5pm on Friday the week before your reservation. Student Union staff will hang your banner on Tuesday (outdoor banners are only hung on Tuesdays); weather permitting, and remove your banner. If your banner has been removed, it can be picked up in the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership, SU3504
• There are large tables placed by the north first floor entrance and elsewhere in the Student Union where student organizations and UT community may reserve to promote your organization or upcoming event, to hold fundraising efforts such as a bake sale or to provide information to student union patrons. For questions about reserving a table, call 419.530.5446 or email email@example.com. Tables may be reserved for an entire day(s) or for a specific time frame. To complete the reservation form, please visit OrgSync. You will find the form under your organization's portal under Forms.