University Marketing and Communications

Trademark Licensing FAQs

Who must be licensed?
Anyone or any business/organization wishing to use the University’s trademarks or verbiage on a product must have a license before offering the product/goods for sale. This also includes sale to University departments, campus organizations and student recognized organizations. Promotions and advertising are included, as well.

How do I become licensed?
Contact our licensing agency:

Learfield Licensing Partners 
Phone: 616.395.0676

*If you prefer the Internet, you may review the Learfield Licensing website at A copy of the licensing application can be downloaded and printed from this website to speed things up.

How does licensing a vendor benefit the University?
In addition to protecting the University from product liability, the use of licensed vendors helps to ensure that The University of Toledo’s name is not used improperly, or on unsafe products, such as knives and flammable items.

What types of companies are licensed?
The University holds trademark licenses with a wide range of companies, large and small, local and national. This includes Champion, Under Armour and Nike, advertising specialty companies, and local stores near campus.

What if my item is a publication or brochure that I wish to use the University’s trademarks on?
The trademarks of the University may not be used on publications, brochures, advertising or miscellaneous print material without permission from the University.

Why do the symbols ® and TM sometimes appear on products with The University of Toledo’s name or logos?
The ® and TM signify ownership of a trademark. The TM symbol indicates that the word, symbol, or design it is placed next to is a trademark. The ® symbol indicates that the trademark is federally registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. These symbols signal the University’s ownership of its trademarks and assist the University in its trademark enforcement efforts.

Can I use the official University seal for my promotion?
No. The university seal is typically used for official documents, such as diplomas and letters of introduction. Permission is required to use the seal on any product.

Why is liability a concern when distributing promotional items and giveaways?
In the event that a product with The University of Toledo name or logos causes damage or injury, The University of Toledo could be held responsible. The trademark licensing agreement that is signed by licensed vendors helps protect the University by transferring product liability back to the vendor. Moreover, licensed vendors are required to carry product liability insurance.

What kinds of products cannot be licensed?
Weapons/firearms and tobacco products are not appropriate items for licensing. Other products will be considered; however, the University has the right to decline any item.

If my product is not going to be resold, do I still have to select a licensed vendor?
A licensed vendor must produce all items bearing the University marks whether or not items are for resale.
Who needs to use an official licensee?           
If your order will include a University of Toledo mark in the design, it must be purchased by an official licensee. Please visit for a complete list of approved vendors for The University of Toledo.

How does the artwork approval process work?       
If you have completed the licensing process through Learfield Licensing, you will receive information on submitting artwork through Trademarx. This site manages the entire artwork approval process over the Internet.

How can I tell if a product is officially licensed?
Look for the Collegiate Licensed Product Authorization label. This label assures you that the University and Learfield Licensing have approved the merchandise on which they are affixed for sale.

What does the University do if unlicensed merchandise is discovered in the marketplace?
Merchandise produced without authorization may be considered counterfeit or infringing and subject to all available legal remedies.

How long do requests usually take to process?
Typically, for a standard license through Learfield Licensing, it will take 3-4 weeks.

Last Updated: 4/8/19