Asian Studies Bachelor's Degree Overview
The study of Asia has never been more relevant to American undergraduates. The countries of the largest continent on Earth continue to greatly influence the U.S. economy and political landscape.
The interdisciplinary Asian studies degree program at The University of Toledo is designed to provide students with a comprehensive and systematic education in Asian affairs. We focus on language, culture, political science, economics, history and geography, as well as business and related areas.
Asian Studies Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Asian Studies Institute. The on-campus institute is a home and resource for faculty, students and community members interested in Asia. It promotes scholarly and cultural exchanges between UToledo, northwest Ohio and Asian countries. The institute hosts visiting scholars from Asian countries and sponsors lectures, films and other events on campus.
- Required language classes in Japanese or Chinese. Many students who major in Asian Studies minor in Japanese.
- Individualized attention. The program’s small size allows for personal attention from faculty. Advisers can help you craft major courses around your interests.
- A multidisciplinary major. Courses in the Asian studies degree program are taught by faculty from many departments in the College of Arts and Letters, as well as other UT colleges. Students also can interact with visiting scholars from China, India, Korea, Japan and other Asian countries.
- Study abroad is available to many Asian countries.
Demand for those with expertise in Asian studies is expected to be high in the next decades. UToledo graduates pursue graduate degrees or find jobs in:
|International business||International organizations|
Asian studies graduates work as:
|University administrator and staffer||Customs/immigration officer|
|International business consultant||Journalist|
|International relations specialist||National security officer|
|Consumer advocate||English teacher in Asian countries|
|Cultural affairs officer|
Asian Studies Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
The interdisciplinary Asian studies degree is designed to give students a broad understanding of Asian countries.
Asian Studies Bachelor’s Degree Sample Courses
|Introduction to Asian Studies||Eastern Thought|
|Topic in Asian Studies||Geography of Asia|
|Modern Chinese History||Directed Research|
|Modern Japanese History|
View Plan of Study