German Bachelor's Degree Overview
Undergraduates in the German bachelor’s degree program at The University of Toledo become conversationally competent, as well as culturally competent. Both traits are important to employers — whether you’re interested in teaching or translating, or a career in international business, government, foreign services or the tourism industry.
A degree in a foreign language can:
- Enhance your studies in other areas
- Help you better understand English
- Make you a more compassionate traveler and citizen of the world
German Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Study abroad is strongly encouraged. UToledo’s Center for International Studies and Programs connects students with opportunities in German-speaking countries.
- Minor or double-major in German. Bilingual employees are valuable to companies no matter which field you’re in. UT faculty members work closely with students who want to double-major. A degree in German enhances any degree, but works particularly well with global studies, history, political science, international business, film studies and English. UToledo German students have double-majored in pharmacy, biology and engineering.
- Heritage speakers. Perhaps you grew up in a German family and want to brush up on your German. Or your family has German roots and you would like to learn more about German culture. Whatever your motivation, we welcome you.
- Get an MBA in one more year. Germany is one of the top European investors in Ohio. UToledo German students can earn bachelor’s degrees in German and an MBA with a concentration in international business in just five years. UT’s College of Business and Innovation is one of the best in the country.
- Top-notch learning lab. Find all the resources you need at UToledo’s Foreign Language Learning Center:
- International satellite TV
- Computers with online exercises
- Foreign-language comic books, magazines and films
- Native-speaking faculty who do research in film, culture, literature, Holocaust studies and more.
- Placement exams. Not sure what level of German you should take? Our experienced adviser works hard to make sure your classes match your skill level. Placement testing is offered daily on a walk-in basis in the Testing Center of Memorial Field House, FH 1080, on Main Campus.
UToledo graduates with German degrees are equipped with 21st-century skills that help them succeed in today’s interconnected world. They learn to:
|Speak and write effectively in German and English||Adapt to other cultures with sensitivity|
|Work well in a team|
UT German students are prepared for careers in:
|Publishing||Leisure and tourist industry|
|Libraries and archives||Government and foreign service|
Some go on to graduate schools and seek careers as:
German Bachelor's Degree Plan of Study
German Bachelor’s Degree Sample Classes
- German Culture and Commerce
- Business German
- Conversation and Composition
- German Culture and Civilization
View Plan of Study
Internship Opportunities for German Bachelor's Degree
UToledo German students have been granted internships in Germany from the American Association of Teachers of German.
Study abroad program directors can help UToledo students find internships while they study abroad. Students work or volunteer in:
|Businesses||Schools (teaching conversational English)|