Office of Student Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid


You will need to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to see if you are eligible for the following grants, all of which are based on financial need. If you have not completed the 2020-2021 FAFSA, you may complete it online at


to the US Department of Education's Web site

  • Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grant eligibility guidelines can be found at the Department of Education's Web site Pell Grants. See the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid website for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) information. A program with limited funding, FSEOG grants are awarded as funds are available to students who demonstrate high financial need (must be eligible for the Pell Grant).

  • Teach Grant

The new federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time as highly qualified teachers in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families.The purpose of the TEACH Grant is to meet the critical need of children attending low-income schools to have highly qualified teachers in high-need fields. Studies show that quality teachers are the single most important factor in student achievement.
Service Obligation of TEACH Grant recipients:
Become a full-time highly qualified teacher in a high-need field (high-need field as defined by the US Department of Education, including mathematics, science, foreign language, bilingual education, special education, reading specialist, and other fields approved by the US Department of Education) Teach in a low-income school for 4 years within 8 years of program completion. For additional information click on TEACH Grant.



Learn more about scholarships available at The University of Toledo or Search Scholarship opportunities.

State Grants and Scholarships

Learn more about the various programs offered by the State of Ohio.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study program is federally funded and designed to assist those students who demonstrate financial need. It provides the opportunity of employment to qualified students. Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid each year in order to be considered for Federal Work-Study.

Since Work-Study is a campus-based program, funding is very limited and this type of assistance usually goes to the earliest applicants with the highest need. Funds may become available throughout the year as students do not work their full amount of eligibility.

Many areas of our campus employ students through the Work-Study program. A list of these available positions can be found at the Career Services Office or accessed through their Web site at your UTportal and select Handshake or stop by Career Services. It is your responsibility to contact the department requesting an interview to be hired. Remember, you must have Work-Study eligibility in order to be hired into one of these positions.

STudent Loans

The University of Toledo participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan Program.

Learn more about loans:

The Department of Education publishes federal Cohort Default Rates for every institution once per year.  The fiscal year (FY) 2016 Official Cohort Default Rates were published on September 25, 2019.  The FY 2016 national cohort default rate is 10.1% and The University of Toledo's FY 2016 official cohort default rate is 8.3%.    For additional information regarding the default rate process and to access The University of Toledo's cohort default rate information enter the following code in the OPE-ID field:  003131 at the Student Loan Default link.

Last Updated: 8/21/20