College of Nursing

Master of Science in Nursing Programs - Advanced Practice Tracks and Nurse Educator

Frequently Asked Questions

Application and Admission Questions

Q:        How do I make application to The University of Toledo College of Nursing Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.) tracks?

A:        Applications are submitted through the Nursing Centralized Admission System (NursingCAS): General information about NursingCAS is available at A nursing supplemental application is also required The nursing supplemental application is your application to the Graduate Nursing program at The University of Toledo.

Q:        Are there application deadlines?

A:        Yes. Program admission cycle information is posted at

Education Certificate students are admitted spring only. Submission of applications by the posted deadline does not guarantee review by the admissions committee. Only completed applications will be reviewed. A completed application consists of a verified NursingCAS application, three recommendations, personal statement, resume and submitted nursing supplemental application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor the status of their application.

Q:        Is there an application fee to NursingCAS? Is there a fee for the nursing supplemental application?

A:        Yes. There is a NursingCAS service fee and a nursing supplemental application fee. The fees must be paid in order to submit the application.

Q:        Do I need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)?

A:        The GRE is not required if you hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S.; students with a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an international institution are required to take a GRE and submit official results to Institutional Code:  1845

Q:        If I am a student with a bachelor’s degree from a college/university outside the U.S., are there other requirements for admission in addition to the GRE?

A:        Yes, you must also take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and submit official results to Institutional Code:  1845.

Q:        What constitutes an official college/university transcript?

A:        The official transcript is sent from the college or university that has the seal on the transcript and is sealed in a college/university envelope. Students are required to have their official transcripts sent directly to NursingCAS. Students must print a transcript request form from NursingCAS. Complete the form and submit it to the Registrar Office of each institution attended. Please be sure to advise the Registrar Office to enclose the Transcript Request Form with your official sealed transcript and mail it directly to the NursingCAS Transcript Processing Center. NursingCAS has difficulties matching official transcripts that are not accompanied by the Transcript Request Form, which can result in a delay in processing your application. Be sure to print, complete and mail the Transcript Request form for each institution you’ve entered as having attended.

Final, official transcripts showing degree conferred or completion of in progress courses should to be sent to The University of Toledo at the time an offer of admission is extended. Transcripts may be sent directly to the College of Graduate Studies, The University of Toledo, 2801 W. Bancroft Street MS 933, Toledo, OH 43606

Q:        Do I need to provide official transcripts for every college/university/nursing school attended?

A:        Yes. Official transcripts are to be sent to NursingCAS directly by the institutions.

Q:        Must I send a transcript if I graduated from the Bowling Green State University (BGSU) or The University of Toledo (UToledo) BSN program offered through the UToledo/BGSU consortium (junior and senior years offered on the UT Health Science Campus?

A:        Yes. You must request the transcript from the university that conferred the degree and direct that it be sent to NursingCAS.

Q:        I am a registered nurse with an Associate Degree in Nursing or a Diploma in nursing with an earned bachelor’s degree in another major from an accredited college/university. Am I eligible to apply for the M.S.N. program?

A:        No, RNs with non-nursing bachelor degrees are NOT eligible to apply for the M.S.N. Advanced Practice Majors and Nurse Educator. A baccalaureate in nursing is required in order to apply to the M.S.N. or B.S.N. to D.N.P. program. The degree in nursing must be from a school that is accredited by a nationally recognized body for nursing education accreditation.

Q:       Is there a specified format for recommendations?

A:        Three recommendations from professional sources are required. Recommendations are submitted electronically on your behalf via the “References” section of NursingCAS.

Q:        Is there a specified format for my personal statement describing career goals, future plans for employment, and expectations for graduate study?

A:        The statement should demonstrate mastery of language, grammar, and syntax at a post-baccalaureate level. In addition, the statement should speak eloquently to your goals, expectations of graduate study, and plans for post-master’s employment.Submit your personal statement via the “Personal Statement” section of the NursingCAS, title it “University of Toledo.”

Q:        Is admission competitive?

A:        Yes. Applicants are encouraged to give careful attention to all components of the application.

Q:        What is a Criminal Record Check?

A:        Students are required to authorize The University of Toledo to obtain criminal record checks (i.e. BCII and FBI) and are responsible for fingerprinting expenses. Students must declare and document misdemeanor and/or felony offenses that occur prior to admission to the nursing program and/or during program progression. Acceptance in the graduate program is conditional upon completion and approval of all information received regarding the criminal record check.

Q:        How do I know if all of my application materials have been received?

A:        It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor the status of their NursingCAS application and application to the College of Graduate Studies. You will need to login to your NursingCAS web application to check the receipt of your documents by NursingCAS. To check your Graduate application status, visit Once logged in, simply click on your application to check the status.

Q:        How should I expect to learn about my admission status?

A:        The notification will come in a letter from The University of Toledo College of Graduate Studies.

Questions about Distance and eLearning

Q:        Can I take core courses online?

A:        Yes, many core courses alternate between being offered online and on campus. Online courses may be offered in a hybrid format that combines online and on campus learning experiences requiring periodic attendance on the UT Health Science Campus as determined by faculty. Courses are offered via Blackboard.

Q:        Are there tracks that are offered completely online?

A:        Yes, the Nurse Educator offers didactic content online; clinical experiences may be accomplished in the home community with an approved preceptor/site. Faculty may require periodic visits to the HSC campus. M.S.N. Nurse Educator students must matriculate in the spring as a full time student in order to complete the program entirely online.

Questions about Plans of Study, Progression and Advising

Q:        Is part-time study available?

A:        Yes. You can select either part- or full-time study. There is a space on the application where you designate your preference. The Director, Graduate Advising will work with you to develop your plan of study.

Q:        Must I complete the courses in the sequence listed in your promotional materials and web site?

A:        Some courses have prerequisites and must be taken in a specific sequence but other courses may have flexibility for scheduling. Please contact the Graduate Advisor at 419.383.5810 to discuss.

Q:        How long will it take to complete the M.S.N. program?

A:        If attending full-time, the advanced practice programs can be completed in two calendar years including summer, while the Nurse Educator can be completed in three semesters, beginning with the spring semester and inclusive of summer. Part-time students will often complete the program in three to four years. 

Q:        Is there a time limit for the completion of the M.S.N. degree?

A:        Yes, the MSN degree must be completed within six years. Students may formally request an extension for one additional year, but this requires approval of the Student Admissions, Progression, and Retention Committee; the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs in the College of Nursing; and the Senior Associate Dean of the College of Graduate Studies on the HSC.

Q.        What grades are required for progression in the M.S.N. majors?

A:        Students must earn a grade of B or higher in all coursework with a NURS prefix. A grade of C or higher is required in INDI 6000 (statistics). In addition, students are allowed to repeat one course one time for a higher grade; no more than two repeats are allowed during the entire program. However, retake standards shall not exceed two courses up to a maximum of 12 credit hours. Both the original and repeated grade will appear on the transcript and be calculated in the cumulative GPA. Student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to meet graduation requirements.

Q:        If I earn a grade of C or less in a course with a NURS prefix, am I eligible to take a course for which that course is a prerequisite?

A:        No, all prerequisite courses, with the exception of INDI 6000, must be completed with a grade of B or higher. A grade of C in INDI 6000 is sufficient for progression into NURS 5910.

Q:        Is there a standard grading scale for courses within the College of Nursing?

A:        No, each faculty member publishes the grading scale within the syllabus of the course. Please review the syllabus carefully for this information.

Q:        Can I work full-time and successfully complete graduate course requirements?

A:        This answer varies from student to student. If a student must work full-time due to life circumstances, a part-time plan of study is encouraged. There are many variables involved with successful completion of graduate study, including individual study requirements, family expectations, and employment. We recommend that you confer with the College of Nursing Graduate Advisor regarding your specific situation.

Q:        Are accommodations available if I have a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

A:       The University will make reasonable academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities. Students should contact Student Disability Services, Rocket Hall 1820; 419.530.4981

Q:        Are tutors available for graduate students in the College of Nursing?

A:        Yes, tutoring is a service provided at no additional charge to all registered students on the HSC. Services are covered as a part of the student fees. For more information, contact the Academic Enrichment Center at 419.383.6118. A brochure is available.

Q:        When does the semester start and where can I find the academic calendar online for the College of Nursing graduate programs? 

A:        General calendar information is available at the beginning of each semester; please check Click on calendar.

Questions about Scholarships and Financial Aid

Q:        Are scholarships available?

A:        The College of Nursing awards graduate scholarships based on donor criteria. Students must complete a scholarship form to be considered. In all cases, students must be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Need based awards require the student to file the FAFSA annually.

Q:        How do I seek financial aid?

A:        Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA form and to meet with financial advisors on the UT Health Science Campus. If students do qualify for federal student aid, they must be enrolled for half-time hours in the fall, spring, and summer semesters, and hold regular admission status. Please check out our web site at for more information.

Questions about Transfer Credits for Courses

Q:        If I have successfully completed graduate courses similar to those required by the UToledo M.S.N. program in an accredited graduate program, can the credits be transferred?

A:        The CON will review courses after the student has been admitted. If the courses are deemed equivalent to the UToledo M.S.N. courses, they may be transferred. No more than 1/3 of credits may transfer in with a grade of “B” or higher and not more than 3 years old. It is important to note that the six-year time-frame for completion of courses begins with the oldest transferred course.

Q:        What is the procedure for determining if transfer courses are equivalent?

A:        After admission to a M.S.N. major, students are responsible for submitting a complete course syllabus. This material is then reviewed by the appropriate nursing faculty, who will notify the Director, Graduate Advising regarding equivalence.

This information is available in alternative format upon request. Please contact the Office of Student Services at 419.383.5810 to make a request. Requests may also be emailed to or faxed to 419.383.5894. Advanced notice is required in order for the material to be available at the event. The amount of time varies on format requested and length of the material, so please call as far ahead as possible.
Last Updated: 10/23/19