Pharmacology and Toxicology Bachelor's Degree Overview
The University of Toledo boasts the most comprehensive undergraduate pharmaceutical sciences program in the nation. Undergraduates learn the science underlying the five major fields in our bachelor’s degree program.
Pharmacology and toxicology is one of the most lab-oriented majors. Students learn:
- The origin, nature, chemistry and uses of drugs
- The effects of drugs on the body
- How the body metabolizes drugs
- The origin, nature and chemistry of toxicants
UToledo pharmaceutical sciences undergrads take classes on Main Campus during their first two pre-professional years. Their final two years are spent on UT’s Health Science Campus. The campus is home to The University of Toledo Medical Center and the College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Pharmacology and Toxicology Bachelor's Degree Highlights
- Hands-on lab experience.
- Unlike many universities, UT emphasizes lab work from the start. Undergrads can take research courses early in their pre-professional careers.
- Strong, active faculty researchers encourage undergraduates to join them in the lab for independent study projects and internships. UToledo students have published research in scientific journals.
- UT’s $25-million, LEED-certified pharmacy facility has state-of-the-art classrooms and lab spaces.
- Accelerated master’s program. Students in the pharmacology and toxicology program, as well as the medicinal and biological chemistry program, can earn a BS and MS in five years. Graduates also can pursue PhD degrees at UToledo in experimental therapeutics or medicinal chemistry.
- A real-world, health-care environment. Pharmaceutical science students spend their final two years on the UToledo’s Health Science Campus — home to the UT Medical Center hospitals, labs and clinics.
- Required 10-week internships. These experiences are invaluable when looking for jobs.
- Professional career support. All undergraduates take seminars on professional skills and leadership. UToledo’s Institute for Leadership in the Sciences provides:
- Education about leadership skills, ethics, effective communication and problem solving
- Job search assistance and networking
- Interview practice and resume help
- Forums and advice on graduate and professional school applications
- Path to medical school and other professional degree programs. A bachelor’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences is excellent preparation for medical, dental and veterinary schools and physician assistant (PA) programs, as well as graduate MS and PhD programs.
Pharmacology/toxicology students are prepared for careers in:
|Biomedical industry||Scientific, civil service and governmental agencies|
|Pharmaceutical industry||Forensic sciences|
|Nutritional industry||Research institutes|
|Environmental conservation and pollution control|
They are hired as:
|Research associate/scientist||Cancer researcher|
|Lab director||Quality control professional|
|Study director||Regulatory affairs specialist|
|Lab technician||Product safety evaluator|
|Clinical development and testing professional|
Graduates often pursue further graduate study in pharmaceutical sciences, medicine, veterinary medicine, physician assistant, dental, nursing and biomedical sciences.
Pharmacology and Toxicology Bachelor's Degree Curriculum
During their first two pre-professional years, UToledo’s pharmacology and toxicology students take the same classes as students in the other BSPS degree programs. The curriculum includes courses in chemistry, biology and mathematics.
Pharmacology and Toxicology Bachelor’s Degree Sample Courses
- Pharmacology Research Introduction
- Pharmacology and Toxicology Lab
Internship Opportunities for Pharmacology and Toxicology Bachelor's Degree
The University of Toledo requires pharmaceutical science students to complete a 10-week internship at the end of their third years. This makes our program unique. Students also learn professional skills through our Institute for Leadership in the Sciences.
Pharmacology and Toxicology Bachelor's Degree4-year program
Program Quick LinksView Admission Requirements
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences