Office of the Registrar


When can I see my grades?
Students can view their grades online after grades are rolled from the Faculty Final Grade Worksheet to Student Academic History by the Registrar’s Office. The process of rolling grades into Academic History is done nightly, Monday through Friday, throughout the grading period.

I am an instructor. When do I submit grades?
Grades are submitted through the myUT portal. Use the chart on the faculty/staff page to see when online grading is available for the current term.

How can I get a copy of my grades?
Grade reports are not mailed to students at the end of each term; grades are available in the myUT portal. 

What do my grades mean?
If you believe your grade for a course is in error, contact the instructor of the class as soon as possible to discuss the grade.

Grade Descriptions
A Achievement of Outstanding quality. 4.00 quality points
for each sem. hour
A- Achievement of slightly less than outstanding quality. 3.67 quality points
for each sem. hour
B+ Achievement of slightly more than high quality. 3.33 quality points
for each sem. hour
B Achievement of high quality. 3.00 quality points
for each sem. hour
B- Achievement of slightly less than high quality. 2.67 quality points
for each sem. hour
C+ Work of slightly more than acceptable quality. 2.33 quality points
for each sem. hour
C Work of acceptable quality. 2.00 quality points
for each sem. hour
C- Work of slightly less than acceptable quality. 1.67 quality points
for each sem. hour
D+ Work slightly below the quality expected. 1.33 quality points
for each sem. hour
D Below the quality expected. 1.00 quality points
for each sem. hour
D- Barely above failing. .67 quality points
for each sem. hour
F Failure 0.0 quality points
for each sem. hour

If you get an F for a course, do not take the next course in a series.
S Satisfactory. (graduate and professional courses only) No effect on grade point average.
IN Incomplete. Requirements for the course have not been met. An IN grade will not be considered in computing the student's GPA. DO NOT RE-REGISTER FOR THIS COURSE. Check with your instructor to see what needs to be done to complete the requirements.  These requirements must be completed before the end of the term following the term in which the IN grade was received; otherwise the IN grade will turn to an F. Student may request a one-semester extension.
PS or NC Pass/No Credit.  A number of classes have Pass/No Credit option.  A grade of C or better will be posted as a PS.  A grade of a C- or lower will be posted as NC.  (Generally courses in your major or related work cannot be taken Pass/No credit.  Ask your adviser or check the University Catalog.) A grade of PS or NC does not affect a student's GPA. If you receive a NC grade and you do not agree with that grade, discuss the matter with the instructor of the course.
W Withdrawal.  The student has formally withdrawn from a class by the end of the tenth week of the semester.*  
IW Former Grade No Longer Issued: Instructor Withdrawal.   
PR Progress.  The student has independent study or special project in progress at the end of a semester. Grade of PR must be removed before student can graduate.
NR Instructor's grades were not available when grades were posted on the transcript. Instructor should submit a change of grade form to the Registrar's Office where the actual grade will be posted.
CR Credit Earned  No effect on grade point average (GPA)
*Effective 2006 fall, withdrawal deadline changed from 8th week to 10th week for full session courses - prorated for shorter sessions.  
Last Updated: 1/22/19