Office of Multicultural Student Success

Changing your first name here at UToledo

Folks with a utad are able to change their first name in many places here at UToledo regardless of a legal name change.

How to change your name:

  1.  Log onto myUT using your utad
  2. Go to the 'Student' tab
  3. Scroll to 'My Other Resources'
  4. Click 'Update Preferred First Name'
  5. Type in your name & hit 'Update'

Preferred* Name will appear on:

  • myUt Portal
  • Self-Service
  • Blackboard
  • Starfish
  • eDirectory
  • Front of Rocket ID card

*LGBTQA+ Initiatives in the Office of Multicultural Student Success recognizes that 'preferred' suggests the name they are claiming doesn't belong to them. We are using this terminology as it is what is currently in place and are working on making the language more inclusive.

If a person changes their name after receiving their first Rocket ID card, there is a replacement fee of $35. Students can apply for a scholarship to cover the cost of their updated Rocket ID card below.

Apply Here

To change your University Email display name, email the Office of the Registrar at

To change your name in the Involvement Network follow the instructions below:

  1. Log into Involvement Network
  2. Click on the circle with your initial in the upper right hand corner
  3. Click on account
  4. Type in your first name
  5. Click 'Update' at the bottom of the page

Legal Name will appear on:

  • Banner INB
  • Official Transcripts
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Back of Rocket ID card
  • Degree Audit
  • Anywhere legal name is required
Last Updated: 11/13/19