Master of Science in Occupational Health : Industrial Hygiene
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
An applicant may apply and begin studies during fall, spring, or summer semester. Typically, application materials must be received by June 15 for Fall semester enrollment; October 15 for Spring semester enrollment; and March 15 for Summer semester enrollment.
A. The Requirements for General Admission
1. Degree: An earned bachelor degree from an accredited college or university is required.
2. Grade-Point Average (GPA): (1) GPA >3.0/4.0 is required for "regular" status admission; (2) GPA >2.7/4.0 is required for "conditional status." After the completion of 12 semester credits of MSOH courses, with 3.0, the status of conditionally accepted student will change to "regular" status. Students initially admitted into the program with "regular" or "conditional" admission status are required to complete the 40 semester credits curriculum; and, (3) "Special" status admission applies to any students who have not been admitted in the Program, but wish to take courses offered by the Program.
Note: Applicants with GPA <2.70 also may be considered for "special" status admission. They would be required to complete 12 semester credits of specified courses with all grades 3.0 before they are considered for acceptance into the Program with "conditional" status, pending MSOH Admission Committee approval.
3. Foundation Courses: The following college-level foundation courses or equivalent are required for admission to the MSOH program:
- calculus (or combination of other math courses),
- inorganic chemistry,
- organic chemistry,
Alternatively and/or in addition to, equivalent credentials are considered: (1) work
experience based on applicability and duration; and, (2) applicable certifications
such as CIH and CSP.
Note: Applicants lacking one or more of these foundation courses may be considered for "conditional" admission. If conditional admission is granted, courses can be completed as part of the student's plan of study, typically within the first 12 months following matriculation.
4. Graduate Record Examination (GRE): (1) GRE is not required for any graduates from a U.S. institution if they have GPA
equal or more than 3.00 (on 4.00 scale); (2) GRE is optional, or may be required by
the Admission Committee, for any graduate from a U.S. institution if they have GPA
of 2.5 to <3.0 (on 4.00 scale); and, (3) GRE is typically required for all applicants
who graduated from institutions other than those in the U.S. The total for Verbal
Section and Quantitative Section to be equal or more than 1000. The Analytical Writing
Section to be equal or more than 4.0.
5. English Language Proficiency (TOEFL): Applicants who graduated from institutions other than those in the U.S. and whose primary language is not English must complete TOEFL and receive a minimum of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) on the test.
Note: Applicants holding advanced professional or graduate degrees from accredited institutions may be exempted from this requirement. International applicants must submit TOEFL scores.
6. Official Transcripts: Applicants must have official transcripts submitted, from institutions where undergraduate
and advanced studies were completed, to the College of Graduate Studies of the University
of Toledo - Health Science Campus. For international applicants, the official transcript
must be translated into English and converted into the GPA of 4.00 scale.
7. Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required. At least two of three letters must be from those having a graduate degree.
8. Resume: A copy of recent resume of the applicant must be included in the application package.
9. Letter of Interest: An applicant must write and submit a concise Letter of Interest addressed to Dr. Dorothea Sawicki, Senior Associate Dean of the College of Graduate Studies at the University of Toledo - Health Science Campus, stating why the applicant wants to pursue the Master of Science in Occupational Health (MSOH) degree - Industrial Hygiene program.
B. The Admission Criteria for "Special Student" Status
1. An applicant that is either a graduate student at another institution, a student not in the College of Graduate Studies at the University of Toledo - Health Science Campus, and/or professional may be admitted to take certain courses pending authorization by the Senior Associate Dean of the College of Graduate Studies. Refer to the University of Toledo - Health Science Campus College of Graduate Studies Bulletin for details.