The Office of Recreation and REC Council presents BATTLESHIP! The game is simple; sink the other canoes before yours goes under.
Registration: Registration opens on March 10, 2014 and ends Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 8:30p.m. The first 6 teams to register and pay receive free Battleship shirts.
Payment Information: $20 per team registration payment must be submitted prior to registration ending on April 6, 2014 at 8:30pm. Check/Money Orders made payable to SRC Leadership
Cash or Check are accepted at the SRC Front Office. or mail check/money order to: Mail Stop 208, 2801 W Bancroft, Toledo, OH 43606
Dance Marathon: Student Organizations participating in Dance Marathon and Battleship will receive spirit points towards your Dance Marathon Team.
The game will be played in separate heats (number of heats determined by number of teams). Depending on the number of teams, the top 1 or 2 teams from each heat will make the finals. The team substitute(s) can stand on the side of the pool and splash water into opponent’s boats with a bucket.
Each team will use their buckets to scoop water and toss the water into their opponents' canoes. The last canoe floating wins their heat. In order to maneuver around the pool, team members can use their hands, buckets and shields. Team members may not push off the pool sides or other boats. No paddles are allowed. Team members can only sit or kneel on the bottom of the canoe. No standing, crouching or sitting on the cross bar!
Each heat will be 15 minutes long. If there is no declared winner(s) at the end of regulation, there will be 5 minutes of overtime. If more than 1 or 2 teams still remain at the end of the 5 minute overtime, game officials will measure the amount of water in each team's boat (with players in the canoe). Whoever has the least amount of water inside their canoe wins.
- Participants must be a currently enrolled University of Toledo student.
- Participants must present a valid Rocket Card at Check-In.
- Roster changes may be made 30 minutes before the first game.
- Rosters changes may not be made after the first game begins.
- Please be aware that this event will be held in the STUDENT RECREATION CENTER POOL, and those who are not strong swimmers should be aware that the event takes place in deep water.
- Team rosters must have 4 players.
- In the event that a player is disqualified or unable to participate, that team can use a substitute player.
- At no time may a team participate with less than 4 players in a canoe.
Attire: PREPARE TO GET WET!
- Swimsuits are REQUIRED for participation.
- Males: swim style trunks.
- Females: appropriate style suit; 1 piece suits or non-stringed bikinis are recommended
- Gym shorts, jeans, sweat pants, etc. are not allowed
- Players may wear a t-shirt if desired.
- Swim shoes or aqua socks are allowed and ENCOURAGED.
- Tennis shoes, boots, gym socks, etc. are not allowed.
- Goggles are suggested, but not mandatory.
- Avoid wearing anything you do not wish to lose or ruin.
- No hats or jewelry! (exception: medical bracelets may be worn, but must be covered)
- Each player is provided a plastic bucket for use inside the canoe. (A bucket is anything that can hold water).
- The team may provide one shield that is allowed in the canoe. Shape, size, and material of the shield may be decided by the team.
- Shields are not to have metal, sharp/pointed edges or be made of any material that will fall apart in the pool.
- Shields must either be plastic or rubber.
- Shields MUST be handheld and may not be laid over the top of the canoe. Tarps are not permitted. Be creative.
- Canoes will be provided.
- Lifejackets are mandatory and will be provided.
- Once a canoe has been sunk (submerged, players unable to stay in, etc.) play will be stopped.
- The canoe will be returned to the exiting area by the players/lifeguards and players will exit the pool.
- Team that is bailing water from their own canoe.
- Team must dump two buckets of water into their canoe.
- Team that continues to throw water after the round has ended.
- Team must fill one full bucket and dump it in their canoe.
- Team member jumps out of the boat at any time during game play.
- Team will be disqualified.
- Team member that is standing/crouching or sitting on the cross bar in the canoe.
- Team is not allowed to use their shield for 2 minutes.
- Touching or interfering with another canoe or an opposing player.
- All team members must fill their bucket and dump in into their canoe
- Illegal use of pool side (pushing off, holding onto, etc.).
- Team cannot use their buckets or shield for 1 minute.
- If a disqualifying event occurs, all play will stop.
- Teams or individuals who are disqualified must immediately exit the pool at the loading zone.
- A disqualified player must sit in the bleachers.
- A disqualified player may be replaced with an eligible substitute if the team has one.
- All injuries should be reported immediately to a lifeguard.
- If a player should become injured or is unable to continue, all play will be stopped so the player may exit the canoe. A qualified substitute may replace the injured player in the canoe.