College Credit Plus

Frequently Asked Questions

Who may take advantage of the College Credit Plus program?
Any student enrolled in Ohio Public Schools, in grades 7 - 12 may participate in the program and enroll in courses if they meet program and admission requirements. 

Who pays the College Credit Plus program costs of a public student attending a College Credit Plus program institution?
It is a state-funded program and there is no charge to the student for tuition, fees, and books. 

Non-public and Homeschooled students, however, are required to apply for funding from the state and need to have funds awarded in order to take CCP classes.

Does a student need to achieve the threshold score on all three portions of the ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer in order to be admitted?
No.  A student may be admitted if they score below the threshold on one or more of the sections.  Each student’s application is reviewed on a case by case basis.  GPA, curriculum, rigor of courses, and recommendation of the school administrator may be considered for a final admission decision. 

Will The University of Toledo send final grades from courses taken to the high schools at the end of each semester?
Yes. By state law, UT is required to send final grades for each student taught by a University faculty member to their high school at the end of each semester.      

Can students take summer classes through the College Credit Plus program?
Yes. CCP courses are available in the summer, fall and spring semesters. The summer sessions are six weeks, however, the content of the full semester (15 week) course is taught during that period.  Please Note:  The first summer session begins in the middle of May and may conflict with the high school students coursework and exams being taken at the end of the year.

If a student completes a class and receives a failing grade, who pays for the class?  
Students who receive a failing grade in a class can be billed for the cost of that class paid by their high school district (if a public school student) or the State of Ohio (if a non-public school or homeschooled student).

Will College Credit Plus program pay for room and board at The University of Toledo?
No. Only those costs for tuition, textbooks, and material directly related to the course are covered through this program.  Students who are enrolled in CCP are not permitted to live on campus.

Will The University of Toledo send a mid-term grade to the student?
No. UT does not send out mid-term grades. If a student desires to know their grade at any time during the semester, they must contact the instructor or professor if they are not posted on Blackboard.

Can a student take night classes or online classes?
Yes. Students who meet the criteria necessary to participate are not limited to the hours of the official school day for scheduling college. A number of general education courses have been created in a variety of modalities, including one hundred percent online, to make it as convenient and accessible as possible. 

Are College Credit Plus program students eligible for financial aid or tuition waivers?
No. Students participating in the program are not eligible for additional financial support or tuition waivers if their parent is a UT employee.                    

Who is responsible for intervention if a student fails a college course being taken for college credit?
Students participating in the College Credit Plus program, together with their parents, must be aware of, and understand the social and academic consequences of participation. The home school district or University may (but is not required) to provide any necessary intervention with the student.  The University has also created the position of Success Coaches to help ensure the student has a successful and fulfilling college experience.

What happens when a student transfers into a new high school district after the March 30 deadline?
The district superintendent has the authority to allow students, on an individual basis, to participate in the program after March 30.                        

Can a student who is enrolled in the College Credit Plus program on a full-time basis participate in high school athletics?
Yes. As long as the student has not graduated and meets state and local scholastic eligibility requirements, the student may participate in high school athletics.                                           

Who owns the textbooks provided for the students?
The high school that the student is attending owns the textbooks.  In the case of homeschooled students, the administrator owns them.

For an additional list of FAQs, please visit the Ohio Department of Higher Education’s CCP pages.

Last Updated: 12/16/19