Department of English Language and Literature

Degree Requirements: Writing Studies

Plan of study

The Plan of Study is a crucial document that must be completed and submitted as part of the procedure leading to graduation. The Plan of Study form can be obtained from the Graduate School Office, from the Advisor of the Writing Studies program, or online (Online Fillable PDF/Print Friendly PDF). The graduate school requires that the Plan of Study must be completed in the student's first semester on a provisional basis. The student and advisor will meet to review the form during the student's final semester after all the required courses and electives have been completed.

Requirements for Degree

The following courses are the required core courses for the M.A. in Writing Studies.

Core Courses

(All courses are three credits; total: 18 credits)

  • ENGL 5090 Current Writing Theory
  • LING 5190 Sociolinguistics
  • ENGL 5210 Issues in ESL Writing
  • ENGL 6010 Seminar in English Instruction
  • ENGL 6180 Methods in Research
  • ENGL 6890 Capstone/Portfolio (cannot be taken until final semester; will serve as student's culminating project)


(18 credits)

Students will take eighteen credit hours in electives from Writing Studies or Literature courses. Of these elective hours, students may take a maximum of two courses in other departments in the humanities or social sciences as approved by the Advisor of Writing Studies. Students may count up to one independent study course toward this degree, which must meet the Independent Study Policy and be approved by the Advisor of Writing Studies.

Students who have completed any of the courses required for the degree or their equivalents at the graduate level before admission to the Graduate School may petition the Advisor of Writing Studies for substitutions.

Incomplete and Progress Grades

Graduate students with more than one Incomplete or Progress (PR) grade at the beginning of any semester may be required to take one course fewer than normal that semester. The Advisor of Writing Studies may refuse to approve registration for a student who still has more than two Incomplete or Progress grades for work not completed in the stipulated time. Unless an extension has been granted, an Incomplete automatically becomes an "F" one semester after that in which the course is taken. Courses taken in Spring and Summer terms change at the end of the immediately following Fall Semester.

Application for the Degree

The application must be filed with the Graduate College by the date set by that office. See the Graduate College website or the official University calendar distributed throughout the year. Students must be enrolled for a minimum of one credit hour in the term during which they intend to graduate.

Last Updated: 6/23/21