Be Aware, Be Alert
As a member of the University community, you are urged to be aware of your surroundings. Be vigilant and observant of anything that might be suspicious. Continue normal activities but be aware of your surroundings and belongings. Do not leave belongings unattended. Stay informed. Stay alert. Exercise caution when traveling.
Report any suspicious behavior or circumstances immediately to UT Police (x-2600, or use a campus emergency phone). These reports can help law enforcement officials in solving crimes or identifying threats to campus security.
Examples of suspicious behavior/circumstances include:
- People in University buildings or areas who do not appear to be conducting legitimate business.
- People monitoring areas, buildings, or entrances.
- Unauthorized people in restricted, sensitive, or private areas.
- People requesting information with no apparent need for that information.
- People wearing clothing not consistent with the weather conditions or events (bulky coat in warm weather, etc.).
- Abandoned parcels or other items in unusual locations or high traffic areas.
- Individuals attempting to access utility locations (water, electrical, petroleum, telecommunications, or information systems).
- Abandoned vehicles.
- Vehicles parked near buildings or public and common areas.
- Unexpected/Unfamiliar delivery trucks.
- Unfamiliar vehicles parked for long periods.
- Vehicles containing unusual/suspicious parcels or material.
- Vehicles arriving and being left behind at odd hours.
- Substances leaking or spilling from vehicles.
- Watch for strangers or anyone who seems to be acting suspiciously.