Judith Herb College of Education

Frequently Asked Questions


For Prospective Students in early Childhood Education Lamp

Teacher and StudentGeneral LAMP Questions

  • Q. What is the LAMP?
  • A. There are many ways to become a teacher. Some school districts will hire college graduates with degrees in an arts and sciences content area as licensed teachers on an emergency basis, but state licensure offers the best opportunity for long-term stability in a teaching career. The Licensure and Masters Program (LAMP) is designed for someone who has an undergraduate degree in an area other than education and would like to become a licensed teacher. Our program offers courses that will lead to teacher licensure by the State of Ohio and a Master’s degree in education. Additional requirements for teacher licensure include a criminal background check and successful completion of the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAEs).
  • Q. What steps do I have to take to complete the LAMP in early childhood education?
  • A. The program has three components:
    • Graduate courses in early childhood education content and fieldwork required for teacher preparation and licensure by the State.
    • Completion of supervised internship/student teaching and the passing of teacher licensure examinations (PRAXIS II).
    • After State Licensure is completed, a limited number of additional Graduate courses will complete the Masters Degree.
  • Q. When can I begin the program?
  • A. Students may begin courses during any semester.
  • Q. How long will it take to finish the program?
  • A. The completion of the program depends on how many courses are taken each term. Based on course offerings, the quickest a student can complete the licensure requirements is four semesters. Additional course work after licensure is required to obtain the Graduate Degree.
  • Q. I only want to take one course at a time. Is this possible?
  • A. It is possible to take one course per semester. However, you must complete the all courses for the degree within a six year window.
  • Q. What if I want to be a teacher, but do not want to earn the Graduate Degree?
  • A. It is possible to complete State Licensure without completing the Graduate Degree. Typically, students who choose this option complete numbers 1, and 2 of the items listed in the answer to Question 2, but do not complete number 3.
  • Q. Is financial assistance available?
  • A. Information on Financial Aid is available from the Office of Financial Aide. In addition to government assistance, the University and College have a limited number of scholarships. Applicants should obtain scholarship applications from the Judith Herb College of Education in the spring of each year. Graduate assistant (GA) are highly competitive. Applications are available from the College of Graduate Studies and are reviewed each spring.
  • Q. Who will be my advisor?
  • A. When you are admitted to the College of Graduate Studies, you are assigned a faculty person to be your advisor. This person will be knowledgeable of the LAMP program and will assist you with scheduling, planning, etc.

Preschool classroomQuestions Regarding Admittance to LAMP

  • Q. How do I complete the application successfully?
  • A. There are several things which ensure a smooth application process:
    • Indicate the correct degree and major
    • Degree code is ME (Master of Education)
    • Major code is ZECE (LAMP Early Childhood Education)
    • Three Letters of Recommendations - from people who can speak to your ability to be successful with graduate level work
    • Statement of Purpose – write a few paragraphs explaining your reasons for the degree and which teaching license area you are seeking. Discuss your bachelor’s degree and how you came to change your field/career.
    • Submit official copies of all transcripts. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.
  • Q. Is there a minimum GPA for admission?
  • A. Students applying for the Early Childhood LAMP program must meet the following admissions criteria;
    • An overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale in all undergraduate work.
    • Three letters of recommendation regarding the prospective graduate student's potential for doing master's level work, which may come from such sources as the undergraduate major advisor, current employer, school principal or others who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s ability to engage in graduate work in the desired program.
    • A well-written statement describing the student’s background and goals as well as the importance of the degree in achieving those goals.
    • All teacher licensure candidates are required to demonstrate basic competencies in reading, writing and mathematics. Candidates must receive acceptable scores on one of the following nationally normed assessments:
  • 21 each on math and reading; 06 on writing section 
    (note: Writing scores are required beginning 2021)
  • Math (532)
  • Reading (543)
  • Writing (06) 
    (note: Writing scores are required beginning 2021)
  • Mathematics (test code 5732 or 5733): minimum score 156
  • Reading (test code 5712 or 5713): minimum score 156 "Evidence-Based Reading and Writing"
  • Writing (test code 5722 or 5723): minimum score 162 "Essay - Writing Dimension"
    (note: Writing scores are required beginning 2021)
  • Verbal Reasoning 151
  • Quantitative Reasoning 153
  • Writing 4.0 
    (note: Writing scores are required beginning 2021)
  • Q. How long does the application process take? How soon should I apply?
  • A. Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. See deadlines for Applying to LAMP.
    • While applications are reviewed year round, it takes several weeks for you to collect all the application materials (letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc.). The department will not receive your application materials from the College of Graduate Studies until the whole application package is complete.
    • Registration for a term begins 3-5 months before the first day of class. If you wait to apply and, in turn, are admitted a week or two before the term begins, many classes will already be full/closed.
    • Questions Regarding Courses/Expectation.
  • Q. What time of day are the courses offered?Young Child and Teacher
  • A. During Fall and Spring terms, some courses are offered in the evening. Method courses have a field component that requires the student to be available during the day. During the summer term, courses are offered during the day and in the evening.
  • Q. I have worked for many years in parochial or private schools. Can I have my Field Experience waived?
  • A. No. Field Courses/experiences cannot be waived. Students will need to complete applied assignments as an outcome of their learning. These assignments are linked directly to the methods courses.
  • Q. If I am currently teaching, and you will not waive Field Courses, is there any way I can remain employed and take your program?
  • A. Maybe. However, it will be required that you complete field work in a placement other than your own classroom. Students wishing to do this must consult with the field office to determine if this is an option.
  • Q. How difficult is the program? Can I work a part-time job and study at the same time?
  • A. The Graduate program in Education is a rigorous and demanding series of courses which will require your complete concentration. Successful students recommend working no more than a few hours per week, or they recommend delaying enrollment until adequate financial resources have been secured.
  • Q. If I want to complete my Graduate Degree, how much study is required beyond State Licensure?
  • A. There are nine semester hours beyond State Licensure to earn the Masters Degree. Candidates of the Graduate Degree must observe all requirements for the College of Graduate Studies.
  • Q. How can I find out more?
  • A. To find out more you should:
    • a. Research programs in teacher education to make sure our program will best suit your needs.
    • b. Read the University of Toledo catalog.
    • c. Review the program checksheet.

Contact Us at lamp@utoledo.edu or call 419-530-4967

Return to Early Childhood LAMP


Last Updated: 9/10/19