Office of Student Financial Aid

Applying for Aid and Eligibility

How to Apply for Financial Aid

University of Toledo’s Student Financial Aid Office awarded more than $247 million in financial aid to more than 16,000 students in 2016-2017. The financial aid staff is committed to providing high-quality service to all students and attempts to explore all possible financial aid resources with students.

Applying for financial aid is a simple process:

  1. Apply for admission to University of Toledo.
  2. Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list The University of Toledo as a recipient of your FAFSA information. The Federal School Code for The University of Toledo is 003131.

2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Students, spouses and parents will be expected to use 2015 Federal Tax Information on the FAFSA.  The IRS Data Retrieval (DRT) process will not be available until the 2018-2019 FAFSA (October 1, 2018).

Standard Verification Documents (if selected for verification)

  • Verification Worksheet
  • A signed copy of 2015 income tax returns, an official Tax Return Transcript, or non-filer certification. 

Maintaining Eligibility

Must be in an eligible degree seeking program

Maintain required enrollment

Show academic progress

Eligible Degree Programs 

It’s OK to be undecided about your specific major, but federal guidelines require that students be enrolled in programs leading to a recognized academic degree or certificate to receive aid.

Examples of degree-seeking programs include: Associate, Bachelor, Masters, Specialist and Doctorate degrees, as well as Teacher's Certification.

Transient Students

Students who are pursuing degrees from another institution but are studying at UT for just a term or two cannot be considered degree-seeking students through our office. In this case such students' best bet for receiving aid would be to contact the aid office at their "home" school, or the school they plan on transferring back to once they are finished at UT.

Provisional or Special Student Admission Status

To be eligible for federal financial aid, you must be admitted in a degree-seeking program.  If you have been admitted under “provisional” or “special student” status, you will not be eligible for federal financial aid funds. 

Transfer Re-Admits: students who attended UT, then attended another institution, and are coming back to UT.  If your higher education GPA is under a 2.0, your file will be reviewed before you are re-admitted to UT.  Transfer re-admit students are not eligible for financial aid.

Conditional Admits:  new and transfer students (never attended UT) with a higher education GPA under 2.0 may be admitted on a one term conditional basis to University College: Department of Exploratory Studies. Your first semester GPA at UT must be at least a 2.0 to remain at UT. A completed application and all official transcripts must be received 10 days prior to the start of the term.

Post Secondary/College Credit Plus (CCP) Status  

Students participating in the Ohio College Credit Plus program are not eligible for any type of financial aid. 

Enrollment Status

Enroll and attend at least half-time for loan disbursement and full-time for full grant disbursement.

You may not receive financial aid from two or more institutions at the same time or periods of overlapping terms.  If you are enrolled at the University of Toledo and another school, you may be eligible to set up a consortium agreement between the schools.  Click here to see if you may be eligible.

For graduate/professional students, if you intend to enroll in undergraduate or mixed level courses, it could affect your eligibility for federal financial aid.  As a graduate student, you must be enrolled and attend at least half-time graduate level credit hours each semester to be eligible for federal loans.

Please read the Understanding Your Award Notification for additional information on how enrollment changes affect your financial aid and the Return of Title IV Calculation that is required if you withdraw completely before earning 100% of your federal financial aid.

Drug Convictions and Federal Aid Eligibility

According to federal regulations, students convicted for a drug offense that occurred during a period of enrollment while they were receiving Title IV Federal Financial Aid, may lose eligibility for Federal Aid.  Please visit, for additional information.
To learn how drug-related convictions affect your aid eligibility, how to find treatment programs and other general information, click here.

Academic Progress

The Office of Student Financial Aid wants to see you earn your degree as quickly as possible. There are minimum financial aid academic standards students must meet in order to continue receiving federal and state financial aid. Should you find that you aren’t meeting these standards (listed on the SAP Test and Fact Sheet below), you may have the option of appealing one time and then, if approved, meeting SAP criteria each term until you’re back in compliance. 

Continuing students must meet and maintain the following objectives to maintain financial aid eligibility.

Please see "SAP Test and Fact Sheet" for eligibility requirements.


Last Updated: 6/13/17