Office of Student Financial Aid

Financial Aid FAQ's

Applying for Financial Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, you need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA becomes available each year on Oct. 1. We recommend that you submit the FAFSA and all required documentation by Feb. 1 each year. You must complete the FAFSA every year that you need financial aid. 

What is the FSA ID and how do I get one?

An FSA ID is a username and password you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education (ED) websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your personal information on ED websites, such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your student’s FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one student attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique email address.

Your FSA ID is used to sign legally binding documents electronically. It has the same legal status as a written signature. Don’t give your FSA ID to anyone—not even to someone helping you fill out the FAFSA. Sharing your FSA ID could put you at risk of identity theft!

To create or retrieve a forgotten FSA ID, please go to

More information about the FSA ID is on the Federal Student Aid website.

What documents do I need to complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA asks for information about you (i.e., your name, date of birth, address, etc.) and your financial situation. Depending on your circumstances (for instance, whether you’re a U.S. citizen or what tax form you used), you might need the following as you fill out the FAFSA:

  • Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA!)
  • Your parent(s) Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
  • Your Alien Registration number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • Federal tax information* or tax returns, including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse if you are married), and for your parent(s) if you are a dependent student
  • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ
  • Foreign tax return and/or
  • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans non-education benefits, for you and your parents if you are a dependent student
  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate, but not including the home in which you live; and business and farm assets for you and for your parents if you are a dependent student

*You may be able to have your tax information imported  automatically from the IRS into your FAFSA with the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) – more information about using the tool can be found on the Federal Student Aid website.

Am I dependent or independent for financial aid purposes?

All applicants for federal student aid are considered either “independent” or “dependent.”

If you answer YES to any of these questions, you may be an independent student. This means you may not be required to provide parental information on your FAFSA.

If you answer NO to ALL of these questions, you may be considered a dependent student, meaning you may be required to provide your parent(s) financial information when completing the FAFSA form.

  1. Will you be 24 or older by Jan. 1 of the school year for which you are applying for financial aid? For example, if you plan to start school in August 2021 for the 2021-22 school year, will you be 24 by Jan. 1, 2021 (i.e., were you born before Jan. 1, 1997)?
  2. Are you married or separated, but not divorced?
  3. Will you be working toward a master’s or doctorate degree (such as M.A., M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D., etc.)?
  4. Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  5. Do you have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?
  6. Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  7. Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  8. At any time since you turned age 13, were both of your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a ward or dependent of the court?
  9. Are you an emancipated minor, or are you in a legal guardianship as determined by a court?
  10. Are you an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

*If you answer NO to all of the questions above, you’re still considered a dependent student for purposes of applying for federal student aid even if you don’t live with your parent(s), are not claimed by your parent(s) on their tax forms or are paying for your own bills and educational expenses.

For more information, visit

Who is considered my parent on the FAFSA?

 Who’s my parent when I fill out my FAFSA? (Text Only)

Who's my parent when I fill out my FAFSA infographic

Should I use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

You’re not required to, but we strongly recommend that you use it!  It means there is no need to locate your tax return and enter in all those numbers yourself, and it may reduce the chance our office will need additional documentation.

What if I filed my FAFSA under the wrong Social Security Number?

File a new FAFSA with the correct legal data, including name, birthday, and Social Security Number.

What If I filled out the FAFSA incorrectly, how do I fix it?

Rocket Solution Central can help you with correcting a FAFSA. Contact them by phone at 419.530.5700, by email at or by stopping in at Rocket Hall Room 1200. Hours of operation are on the Rocket Solution Central website.

I need help completing my FAFSA. Where can I get help?

Rocket Solution Central can help you with filing a FAFSA.  Contact them by phone at 419.530.8700, by email at or by stopping in at Rocket Hall Room 1200. Hours of operation are on the Rocket Solution Central website.

I submitted my FAFSA, but haven’t heard from your office. What should I do?

If you’re a new, incoming student, don’t worry. We’ll begin processing your FAFSA after you’ve been fully admitted to your program.

For all students, confirm that you sent the FAFSA to the correct school with our School Code: 003131. It is a common mistake for students to list the wrong school code.

Academic year financial aid offers typically begin going out in early March and continue throughout the year.

There is no place to indicate special circumstances, such as loss of income, on the FAFSA. Can I request a reevaluation?

You must complete the FAFSA accurately, providing the information requested by FAFSA. Then, if you believe you have a special circumstance that occurred after taxes were filed or after your FAFSA was filed, review the information on our "Application for Review of Special Circumstances" on the Financial Aid Common Forms page to determine if you want to request a special circumstance review. A special circumstance review could increase eligibility for need-based aid, but not all special circumstance reviews result in additional financial aid.

How do I/my parent(s) apply for loans?

You can accept, decline and/or reduce Federal Direct Stafford Loans from the myUT portal. For Federal Parent PLUS Loan Application Instructions, click here.

How do I get financial aid for summer semesters?

Most financial aid can be used for summer semesters, but a summer aid application is required.

I have accepted all of my student loans, but am still finding it difficult to pay my bill. What other options are available?

Our staff at Rocket Solution Central can review your account and let you know what financial aid options may be available to you. Contact Rocket Solution Central by phone at 419.530.5700, by email at or by stopping at Rocket Hall Room 1200. RSC’s hours of operation are on

Learn More about Scholarships

How do I apply for scholarships?

Many UToledo scholarships are awarded at the time of admission, based on information you provide in the admission application process. For more information regarding these awards, click here if you plan to attend UToledo directly after high school graduation. Click here if you will attend UToledo as a transfer or adult student who has been out of high school for at least one semester.

UToledo also has donor scholarship opportunities that can be accessed through the donor scholarship search tool at

The tool allows you to customize searches using a variety of criteria, review scholarship eligibility requirements, and access applications. Scholarship applications begin opening in October to coincide with yearly FAFSA availability; deadlines vary throughout the year.

UToledo students earned more than $3 million in outside scholarships during the 2017-18 academic year. Below are reputable scholarship sites we encourage you to explore for additional scholarships. Please remember that scholarship applications should never require a fee.

Additional sources for scholarship funding may include local foundations, alumni groups, employers and other charitable organizations.

When will I be notified if I’ve been awarded a scholarship?

For scholarships awarded using the admission application process, you should receive notification of scholarships awarded to you within two weeks of being admitted to UToledo.

Most recipients of UToledo donor scholarships will receive notification of their awards by June 1 via their Rocket email accounts. However, as additional funds become available, scholarships may be periodically re-awarded throughout the school year. Notifications may occur at any time, so be sure to regularly check your Rocket email account.

I’ve been awarded a renewable scholarship. How do I renew it?

Begin by reviewing the terms and conditions of your awards at Most scholarships automatically renew as long as you meet the renewal requirements. If you do not meet the renewal requirements, most scholarships have an appeal process that you can complete to continue receiving a portion of your scholarship. The appeal process is discussed in more detail at Process Directions 4.30.18.pdf.

If you receive a scholarship that does not have terms and conditions listed on the website, you should review the original award letter you received for any renewal requirements.

I’ve been awarded a donor scholarship. How can I contact the donor to thank him or her?

Acknowledging the generosity of your donor is an important step in your scholarship process; doing so shows your donor their contributions have made an impact. Submit thank you letters by completing the online form at

I received an outside, non-UToledo scholarship. How do I have the funds applied to my account?

Notify the Office of Student Financial Aid/Scholarship Services each year of any outside (non-University) scholarships you expect to receive. The best way to do this is to make a copy of your award letter from each scholarship sponsor (include your name, Rocket number and the amount awarded) and forward it to

All scholarship checks should be sent to the Scholarship Services office at the following address:

The University of Toledo
Scholarship Services, Mail Stop 314
2801 W. Bancroft St.
Toledo, OH 43606-3390

Scholarship checks may also be submitted in person at Rocket Solution Central in Rocket Hall Room 1200 during regular office hours.

Please ask that your name and Rocket number and/or birthday be recorded on each check or included on an attached letter to make sure the funds are applied to the correct account in a timely manner.

If the check is made out to you and The University of Toledo, you must endorse the check in order for us to apply it to your account.

Outside scholarship checks are deposited and applied to student accounts weekly, or more frequently during peak times. You can view updates to your financial aid through your myUT portal account.

I need verification that I am enrolled at UToledo. How do I provide this?

If you need enrollment verification, just provide the requestor a copy of your UToledo bill or class schedule. Alternatively, you can get enrollment verification through the Office of the Registrar at

My outside scholarship was added to my account as pending aid. Will this be accepted as payment if my bill is due before the scholarship check arrives?

Pending scholarship aid is not considered payment and will not prevent holds or late fees from being applied to your account. However, pending aid may allow you to move into your residence hall as long as the remainder of your balance is paid in full. Communicate with your donor to determine when the check will be sent and, if possible, make arrangements to pay your balance in full by the due date.

How will my outside scholarship money be distributed to me?

Unless we receive specific instructions from you or the sponsor, scholarships of less than $500 are applied in full toward the current semester; scholarships of $500 or more are divided evenly between fall and spring semesters. Scholarships are listed as refundable if the accompanying documentation states the funds can be used for room and board, supplies, or if no instructions are included with the scholarship check. If the donor states the check is to be used for tuition only, tuition and books, or if any unused funds are to be returned, the scholarship is marked nonrefundable and can be used only for charges on your UToledo account.

For nonrefundable scholarships that also may be used for books in addition to your account charges, such as tuition/general fee, donors must designate an exact dollar amount in writing to be transferred to your Rocket card for use at the book store. The remainder is applied to your University charges. Books purchased using nonrefundable scholarship funds must be purchased from the University Barnes & Noble bookstore.

Can I use my UToledo scholarships in the summer and/or to study abroad?

If you attend full time during the summer, you can request to use a term of your UToledo merit scholarship during summer semester by completing the Summer Aid Application through the myUT portal. The application typically becomes available in March. Recipients of UT donor scholarships should contact the awarding party for more information regarding summer eligibility.

Most scholarships can be used if you participate in a UToledo study abroad program, although additional documentation regarding program costs may be required.

Can my scholarships be used to pay for housing at Honors Academic Village?

University, donor, and refundable outside, non-UToledo scholarships may be applied to charges incurred at Honors Academic Village. Nonrefundable outside, non-UToledo scholarships are subject to the terms and conditions in their award letters.

I’m an employee dependent. Can I receive scholarships in addition to the employee dependent fee waiver?

Yes, you can receive scholarships in addition to the employee dependent fee waiver.

Most UToledo scholarships are nonrefundable, so the awards can apply to charges on your student account that are not covered by the dependent fee waiver, including parking permits, miscellaneous instructional fees, health insurance, meal plans, and housing charges. Any unspent, nonrefundable aid is removed from your account after the add/drop period for that term.

If the scholarship is refundable, the funds are first applied to any unpaid balance. If there is excess aid after the balance is paid, a refund is issued to you, either through direct deposit (if set up), transfer of funds to your Rocket card (if requested), or a check mailed to your address.

Additional Information is Being Requested

How will I know which, if any documents are required?

The Office of Student Financial Aid may request additional information due to a process called verification, which requires the university to collect documentation to confirm the accuracy of your FAFSA. Our office will notify you (the student) first by letter, and then by Rocket email if any documents are required before we are able to process your FAFSA. Both communications will direct you to the myUT portal, where you can view requirements under the section MyFinancialAid>>CheckEligibilityStatus>>StudentRequirements.

What is the deadline for submitting verification documents?

If you’re asked to provide these documents, we encourage you to submit them within 30 days of notification.

Should I send in documentation, even if your office hasn’t requested it?

No! Do not submit any documents to our office that are not specifically requested. Submitting unsolicited documents could delay your financial aid offer.

What is satisfactory academic progress and how does it affect my federal student aid?

Federal financial aid regulations state students must successfully progress toward degree completion to maintain eligibility for federal aid programs. Regulations also state that tests be used that measure both qualitative and quantitative progress, and that they must be at least as stringent as the academic colleges. You and all students are evaluated annually to determine if you meet the following, minimum GPA requirements:

Undergraduate 2.0 minimum
Graduate 3.0 minimum
Law 2.0 minimum

Pace of completion is also evaluated annually, and you must complete at least 67 percent of courses attempted. This calculation is based on earned hours divided by attempted hours. The federal financial aid SAP policy requires completion of a degree for undergrads and medical students within 150 percent of the credit hours required to complete the program. Graduate and Law requirements are within 250 percent of the credit hours required to complete the program. For example, a degree program that requires the completion of 124 credit hours must be completed within 186 attempted hours (124 X 1.50 = 186). 

If my financial aid is suspended due to satisfactory academic progress, how can I become eligible again?

If extenuating circumstances prevent you from maintaining satisfactory academic progress, you can appeal for reinstatement of federal financial aid on a term-by-term basis. There is an appeal form available for those not meeting the GPA or Pace of Completion standards, or a Plan of Study form for those at the 150 or 250 percent maximum time frame limit. Plans of Action will be determined with approved appeals to assist you in maintaining satisfactory academic progress for future eligibility.

Understanding What’s Been Offered to You

 What determines my financial aid eligibility?

Estimated cost of attendance (COA) includes both direct and indirect costs and assumes you will enroll full-time each term (12 or more credit hours). If you do not attend full-time, your COA may be adjusted, resulting in reductions to your financial aid awards. An itemized list of your COA components is in the Student tab of the myUT portal; select Award Overview in the My Financial Aid section.

Direct costs are billed by UToledo and include charges for tuition and miscellaneous fees associated with your courses and program. If you plan to live on campus, your room and meal plan charges also are considered direct charges payable to UToledo or Honors Academic Village, if applicable.

Indirect costs are variable expenses and include books and supplies, transportation, personal expenses, and living expenses for students who do not live in campus housing.

Grade level used to calculate the federal student loan eligibility displayed in your Award Overview may change during the award year. To update your grade level information, complete the Loan Change Form by selecting Loan Change Request in the My Financial Aid category of the Student tab in the myUT portal.

Expected family contribution (EFC)is calculated using information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Financial need is calculated by subtracting your EFC and other resources, such as scholarships, from your estimated COA. If the total of your EFC and other resources exceeds your COA, you may be ineligible for need-based aid, but may qualify for low-interest educational loans.

Eligible degree programs include associate, bachelor, master, specialist, and doctorate degrees. It’s OK to be undecided about your specific major, but federal guidelines require that you be enrolled in programs leading to a recognized academic degree or certificate to receive aid. If you have been admitted under “provisional” or “special student” status or you are participating in the Ohio College Credit Plus program, you are not eligible for federal financial aid funds.

Transient students (students pursuing degrees from another institution but studying at UToledo for just a term or two) cannot be considered degree-seeking students through our office. In this case, your best bet for receiving aid is to contact the aid office at your "home" school, or the school you plan to transfer back to once you are finished at UToledo.

Enrollment requirements include enrolling and attending at least half-time for loan disbursement and full-time for full grant disbursement.

Satisfactory academic progress must be maintained.

Do I have to accept everything offered to me?

Gift aid such as grants and scholarships are automatically accepted for you. Loans and Federal Work Study funds can be accepted through your myUT portal. You do not need to accept the entire amount.

Will dropping or withdrawing from classes affect my eligibility for aid?

It might be necessary to adjust your schedule during any given semester. If you drop from classes for any reason during the University refund period, you may receive a refund of instructional, general, tuition surcharge or other fees at 100 percent, 80 percent, 60 percent, 40 percent, or 0 percent (no refund), depending on the date of the dropped course. The schedule used to determine refund percentages is on the registrar’s office website (select the academic term in the dropdown box). Be careful, though, since financial aid awards may change (be reduced) due to dropping after the start of any term. Know the criteria for use of all programs from which you receive funding before you decide to drop one or more classes.

In addition, if you never attend, stop attending or withdraw from your courses, UToledo might be required to return a portion of the funds originally credited to your account to the federal government. The amount of aid you have earned based on registration, attendance, and length of enrollment will be re-calculated. Any unearned amount must be returned to the federal government. Under these circumstances, you might be responsible for charges originally covered by financial aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is responsible for returning funds in the following order:

  1. Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  2. Direct Subsidized Loan
  3. Direct PLUS Loan
  4. Federal Pell Grant
  5. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  6. Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)
  7. Iraq-Afghanistan Service Grant

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized federal Stafford Loans?

Subsidized Loans Unsubsidized Loans
Based on your financial need You can qualify, regardless of income or your financial need.
Available only if you're an undergraduate student. Available if you're an undergraduate or graduate student
Government does not usually charge you interest while you're in school at least half-time, for the first six months after you leave school, during a period of deferment (a postponement of payments), and, sometimes, during repayment under an income-driven repayment plan. Government charges interest from the time your loan is disbursed through the life of the loan, except for some periods of repayment under an income-driven repayment plan.
Your school determines the amount you can borrow, and the amount may not exceed your financial need or the limit set on how much you can borrow per year and total. Your school determines the amount you can borrow based on your cost of attendance and other financial aid you receive and may not exceed the limit set on how much you can borrow per year and total.


It’s likely that I’ll have to borrow student loans to help pay for college. How much should I borrow so that I know I can Afford to pay it back?

If you need to take out student loans, you should borrow only what your future income will allow you to repay. As an estimate, try not to accumulate more student-loan debt than you expect to earn as a starting annual salary after you graduate.

To calculate an estimate of your costs at The University of Toledo, check out our Cost of Attendance Calculator.

To get budgeting tips and other money-management resources and tools, click here to visit our Financial literacy webpage.

For repayment information, watch the video below or visit to use the Repayment Estimator.


Repayment: What to Expect

I didn’t receive a Federal Work-Study award. Is it still possible for me to be awarded?

Yes. When you receive your financial aid award package and you do not see a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award, contact Rocket Solution Central (RSC) by phone at 419.530.5700, by email at or by stopping in at Rocket Hall Room 1200. FWS funds can become available throughout the year. RSC can add you to a wait list to be awarded when this happens. FWS funds are limited and have specific eligibility criteria, so you should contact RSC as soon as possible.

Why isn’t my National Guard Scholarship covering all of my tuition and general fees?

Ohio National Guard (ONG) typically covers 100 percent of tuition and general fee, but if the ONG scholarship office has indicated you are eligible to file for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA), you are required to use that benefit before ONG. Students who have been flagged as being FTA-eligible will have their ONG scholarships reduced until it is determined you have used all of your FTA eligibility for the calendar year, you are not really eligible for FTA, or you file for Chapter 1606 benefits. If you file for Chapter 1606 benefits, contact our Military Service Center in Rocket Hall Room 1350 or call 419.530.1392. Our staff will notify the financial aid office to verify that you have filed and are eligible for the full ONG scholarship.

How do I apply for the TEACH Grant?

There is no application for TEACH; however, you must file a FAFSA. The financial aid office identifies eligible students and sends an email to their UToledo email addresses. The first awardees are notified in late July.

TEACH requirements include maintaining a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 and entry into the upper division in the Judith Herb College of Education. Graduate-level students are required to have an established University of Toledo GPA. TEACH-eligible majors include adolescent and young adult education, art education, curriculum and instruction, elementary and childhood education, early childhood education (Pre-K-3), middle childhood education (4-9), multi-age education (Pre-K-12), secondary education, special education, and special education intervention specialist.

There is a service requirement attached to the TEACH grant. You must agree to teach in low-income schools in a high-need field for four years. If this obligation is not met, the grant will convert to an unsubsidized loan with interest charged back to the date the grant was disbursed. The purpose of the TEACH grant is to meet the critical need of children attending low-income schools to have highly qualified teachers in high-need fields.

When will my Ohio War Orphans Scholarship be awarded to my account?

The Ohio War Orphans Committee that determines the scholarship amount meets annually at the end of July. If you are attending full-time during summer semester, your award will not be able to be put on your account until the amount is determined and communicated to us.

I have a DC TAG Award, but it is not on my account yet. Is there anything I need to do?

You are now required to turn in your award letter before DC TAG will be applied to your account. You will receive the DC TAG award letter via email through the DCOneAPP system. Print a copy of the award letter and return to:

The University of Toledo
Mail Stop 314
2801 W. Bancroft St.
Toledo, OH 43606-3390

When will my Choose Ohio First Scholarship be applied to my account?

There are multiple Choose Ohio First (COF) scholarships awarded through The University of Toledo. Rosters of COF Scholarship recipients are sent to the Office of Student Financial Aid by the departments that award the scholarship. If you have questions about when to expect to see the award on your account, contact the department through which you have applied for the award. If the department has sent its rosters to the financial aid office, allow 5 to 7 days for processing.

How You Will Receive Your Aid

When will my aid appear and/or pay on my account?

Provided you meet all required eligibility criteria, your financial aid is paid to your UToledo account at the beginning of each term. Disbursed aid no longer appears on your e-statement as “Estimated Aid,” which is aid in the process of being finalized and available for use toward your account balance in a tentative status. Any term that offers courses with staggered start dates (e.g., summer) may cause disbursement to be held until the start of the course that brings you to an eligible number of credit hours to receive your loan or grant.

Financial aid funds are disbursed to your UToledo account at the beginning of each semester as long as you have:

  1. Responded to all requests for information from the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  2. Accepted your aid awards. You can do this online through the myUT portal.
  3. Completed entrance counseling and signed the promissory note for accepted loans, if required.
  4. Enrolled (and will attend) at least half-time for loan disbursement and full-time for full grant disbursement.
  5. Completed the Title IV consent form, available in the myUT portal, to allow your aid to pay on charges beyond instructional, general, lab, surcharge, and University contracted room and board fees.
  6. Reviewed your eligibility status on the myUT portal to make sure that your Student Academic Progress (SAP) is in good standing.

If my aid is accepted but is showing as estimated aid, will I be charged a late fee?

If your Estimated Aid is enough to cover your total charges, you will not be charged a late fee.

How will I receive my aid?

Direct disbursement to your UToledo student account

Grants, scholarships and loans administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid are disbursed directly to your UToledo account to pay for instructional, general, lab, surcharge, and University contracted room and board fees. In order for your financial aid to pay other charges on your account (e.g., parking, health insurance), you must provide your authorization by completing the Title IV Consent on the Student tab in the myUT portal. It is strongly recommended that you authorize Title IV Consent to avoid late fees and/or collection activity.   

Excess aid

Refunds of excess refundable aid begin on the first day of the semester. Excess refundable aid is released to you within 14 days after it disburses to your student account. To expedite the refund, sign up for direct deposit to your personal bank account. Complete a Direct Deposit Authorization online in the Student tab of the myUT portal under My Accounts. If you do not choose direct deposit, a paper check will be mailed. Keep your local and permanent addresses current in order to receive a mailed check without delay. Receiving your refund in check form may take 7 to 14 days longer than receiving it via direct deposit.

Each term, you may transfer up to $800 of your excess refundable financial aid to your Rocket card to purchase books or other supplies. Depending on the timing of your request, funds are available on your Rocket card beginning the Monday of the week prior to the start of the semester. Request a Rocket card transfer online by completing the Transfer of Excess Financial Aid to the Rocket Card on the Student tab of the myUT portal under My Accounts. If you request a transfer of excess aid for one term, but do not wish to transfer excess aid each term after, return to Transfer of Excess Financial Aid to the Rocket Card and select the “Void Rocket Card Transfer Request” box.

If your parent borrows through the Parent PLUS Loan program and excess PLUS Loan funds remain after your charges are paid, a refund check will be mailed to him/her at the address provided on the Parent PLUS Loan application.

If you are enrolled in courses that begin after the start of the semester, you may not be eligible for all excess aid until all courses for which you have registered have started.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work-Study awards are earned as wages in positions with eligible employers. Wages are paid bi-weekly through the University Payroll Department. Before you begin working, make sure the appropriate paperwork is completed in order to receive payment for the work you do. It is also highly recommended that you complete the employee Direct Deposit Allocation, accessed through the myUT portal Employee tab, to have your wages deposited directly into your personal bank account. This is the quickest and safest way to receive your pay.

WHY Won’t My Aid Pay Out?

Financial aid funds are disbursed to your UToledo account at the beginning of each semester as long as you have:

  1. Responded to all requests for information from the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  2. Accepted your aid awards. You can do this online through the myUT portal.
  3. Completed entrance counseling and signed the promissory note for accepted loans, if required.
  4. Enrolled (and will attend) at least half-time for loan disbursement and full-time for full grant disbursement.
  5. Completed the Title IV consent form, available in the myUT portal, to allow your aid to pay on charges beyond instructional, general, lab, surcharge, and University-contracted room and board fees.
  6. Reviewed your eligibility status on the myUT portal to make sure that your Student Academic Progress (SAP) is in good standing.


If these steps have been completed, contact Rocket Solution Central by phone at 419.530.5700, by email at or by stopping in at Rocket Hall Room 1200. Hours of operation are on the Rocket Solution Central website.

Last Updated: 3/4/21