College of Law


The Juris Doctor/Master of Science in Engineering joint degree program offers you the opportunity to earn law and engineering graduate degrees in an accelerated period of study, generally four years. The J.D./M.S.E. joint degree program is designed for law students interested in pursuing careers within technology-driven fields.


The program is jointly administered by the College of Law and the College of Engineering. You must apply and be admitted separately to each college. Academic advising is provided by each college in collaboration with the College of Graduate Studies. The decision to admit or not to admit is based solely on each college's selection criteria. The College of Engineering will accept your LSAT score in place of a GRE score. An undergraduate degree in engineering or its equivalent is required. Students with a non-engineering undergraduate degree may be asked to complete engineering prerequisites.

Tuition & Scholarships

If you enroll in both colleges in any semester, the highest tuition rate will apply to all credit hours taken. We encourage you to explore how a joint degree may impact your financial aid or scholarships. College of Law scholarship funds cannot be used to cover coursework outside of the law school.

Integrated Curriculum

Juris Doctor

The College of Law requires the successful completion of 89 credit hours to earn your J.D. degree. You may apply up to 12 credit hours completed in the College of Engineering toward this requirement. For an M.S.E. course to qualify for credit toward your J.D. degree, you must earn a grade of B (3.0) or better. Under American Bar Association guidelines, College of Engineering courses must be taken after enrollment in the College of Law to be eligible for credit toward your J.D. degree.

Master of Science in Engineering

You may apply up to 12 credit hours of approved, upper-level courses in the College of Law toward requirements for your M.S.E. degree. For a law course to qualify for credit toward your M.S.E. degree, you must earn a C (2.0) or better. Review credit requirements from the current UToledo graduate catalog for the College of Engineering. The M.S.E. degree is for full-time students with an undergraduate degree in engineering or its equivalent. Students with a non-engineering undergraduate degree may be required to complete prerequisite courses, depending upon the undergraduate degree. 

Awarding of Degrees

You will not receive a J.D. or M.S.E. degree until you complete all the work required for both degrees. If you withdraw from the joint degree program and remain in either the College of Law or the College of Engineering, you shall only receive credit for work in the other college as the Dean authorizes under the rules of that college. Degrees must be awarded within time limits established by the participating colleges.


Geoffrey Rapp
College of Law
Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Professor of Law

NOTE: The College of Law recommends that you remain apprised of academic requirements for each degree you pursue. While we make every effort to maintain timely information relating to joint degree programs, because other colleges manage their curricula and requirements, it is possible that information on this site could be out of date. For additional information, please review the other college’s website.

Explore Other Joint Degrees

Last Updated: 2/12/21