College of Law

Entering Student Financial Aid Checklist & FAQs


Please have the following items completed before Orientation and Registration. Some requests may require 2-3 weeks of processing time.

2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Master Promissory Note
Graduate Entrance Counseling

Direct Deposit Authorization - Students may authorize direct deposit of their financial aid loan disbursement via the MyUT Portal.

Federal Title IV Authorization/Restriction Form - The Title IV Consent allows students who receive federal loans to authorize these loans to pay for optional fees such as parking permits, legal service fees, telephone charges, etc. Without this authorization, students are required to pay these types of optional fees on their student account themselves. If these optional fees are not paid in a timely fashion, late fees can be accessed. Students can submit or change their authorization via the MyUT Portal by clicking “Title IV Consent” under the My Accounts heading.

Transfer of Excess Funds to Rocket Card - Students whose financial aid exceeds account charges may request a transfer of available funds (up to $800 per semester) to the Rocket ID card for the purchase of books and supplies at the University bookstore. These funds should be available one week prior to classes starting. Once a request to transfer excess funds to your Rocket Card is submitted, it will result in a transfer each semester unless the request is changed to $0.

FERPA (privacy release) - A privacy release is needed in order for the Treasurer and Financial Aid Offices to release any financial information to anyone other than the student, including parents and spouses. The student must complete the Financial Release Form via the MyUT Portal by clicking “FERPA Consent” under the My Accounts heading and naming the parties to whom they wish information to be made available.


When do I register for fall classes?

The Law Office of Admissions will provide you with your fall class schedule in mid-summer, at which time you may register for your assigned courses.

When is my bill due?

Your fall semester bill is due at the time you register for fall classes. Your financial aid must be authorized for a sufficient amount to cover your fall semester bill at the time of registration. Any balance remaining (after authorized aid) is due by the invoice due date.

How much do I owe?

You will not know exactly how much you owe until you register for fall classes, but you can use the Tuition and Fees link to see the fee schedule. From this fee schedule, you should be able to determine an estimated bill for the fall semester. Once you register, you may determine how much, if any, is due on your student account after authorized financial aid.

When do I receive my financial aid?

Provided that you have completed the 2018-2019 FAFSA (and any subsequent documentation required by the Law Office of Financial Aid), the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling for your Direct Loans, and the PLUS Loan request and PLUS Master Promissory Note (at if you intend to accept the PLUS loan offered, your financial aid will disburse to your student account at the start of fall semester. If your financial aid is less than your bill, you will be expected to pay the difference at the time of registration. If your financial aid is more than your bill, you can expect to receive a refund of the excess financial aid funds once classes begin. In order to ensure a prompt refund, it is strongly recommended that you complete the Direct Deposit Authorization via the MyUT Portal by clicking “Direct Deposit Authorization” under the My Accounts heading. Beginning 1L students will receive a checklist in late July or early August of items that must still be completed.

I have rent due in August, can I use my financial aid?

Excess Financial Aid refunds will not be available until classes begin. You should have other resources available to you to pay rent and living expenses for August. UT does not provide an “early release” or an “advance” on your loan funds.

How do I pay for books?

If you are expecting a financial aid refund, you may request a Transfer of Excess Funds to Rocket Card. Your Rocket Card can then be used at the University Bookstore.

How do I activate my UTAD account and University email address?

Click here for instructions. Your university email address is the primary means of communication at the University. The Office of Financial Aid will use your rocket email address to send you important financial aid information.

Can I access my student information online?

Once you have activated your UTAD account you can access student information, including financial aid information, via the MyUT Portal under the Law Tab. You may view your student bill and financial aid awards, check the status of your financial aid paperwork, accept/decline your financial aid awards, etc. This feature enables you to keep up-to-date on requirements and the status of your student account.

Last Updated: 7/3/19