College of Nursing

Graduate-Entry Master of Science in Nursing Program Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Q:    Who is eligible for the Graduate-Entry M.S.N. Program?

A:    The program is designed for a person who holds a non-nursing bachelor’s degree, who is not yet a registered nurse (RN), but who desires to become an RN.

Q:    What degree do I obtain upon completion?

A:    Graduates of the program are awarded a Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.) degree. The graduates are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN.

Q:    How do I become a RN after completion of the program?

A:    Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are prepared to apply for a license as a RN and take the National Council Licensing Exam-Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN).

Application and Admission Questions

Q:    How do I make application to the Graduate-Entry M.S.N. program?

A:    Applications are submitted through the Nursing Centralized Admission System (NursingCAS). General information about NursingCAS is available here. A nursing supplemental application is also required. The nursing supplemental application is your application to the Graduate Nursing program at The University of Toledo.

Q:    Is there an application deadline?

A:    Yes. Program admission cycle information is posted here. Students are admitted for the fall semester only. Submission of applications by the posted deadline does not guarantee review by the admissions committee. Only completed applications will be reviewed. A completed application consists of a verified NursingCAS application, three recommendations, personal statement, resume and submitted nursing supplemental application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor the status of their application.

Q:    Is there a fee for submission to NursingCAS? Is there a fee for the nursing supplemental application?

A:    Yes. There is a NursingCAS service fee and a nursing supplemental application fee. The fees must be paid in order to submit the application.

Q:    If I am a student with a bachelor’s degree from a college/university outside the U.S., are there other requirements for admission?

A:    Yes. You must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Submit official results to Institutional Code: 1845. Tests must have been taken within the past 2 years, and there is a minimum required test score for each test. Please see the admission guidelines for Health Science Campus students here. In addition, international applicants need evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree and calculation of GPA by an approved service; please review this page for a listing.

Q:    What constitutes an official college/university transcript?

A: The official transcript sent from the college or university has the college/university seal on the transcript. Students are required to have their official transcripts sent directly to NursingCAS. Students must print a transcript request form from NursingCAS. Complete the form and submit it to the Registrar Office of each institution attended. Please be sure to advise the Registrar Office to enclose the Transcript Request Form with your official sealed transcript and mail it directly to the NursingCAS Transcript Processing Center. NursingCAS has difficulties matching official transcripts that are not accompanied by the Transcript Request Form, which can result in a delay in processing your application. Be sure to print, complete and mail the Transcript Request form for each institution you’ve entered as having attended.

Final, official transcripts showing degree conferred or completion of in progress courses should be sent to The University of Toledo at the time an offer of admission is extended. Transcripts may be sent directly to the College of Graduate Studies, The University of Toledo, 2801 W. Bancroft Street MS 933, Toledo, OH 43606.

Q:    Do I need to provide official transcripts for every college/university/nursing school attended?

A:    Yes. Official transcripts are to be sent to NursingCAS directly by the institutions.

Q:    Must I send a transcript if I graduated from The University of Toledo?

A:    Yes. You must request the transcript and direct that it is sent to NursingCAS.

Q:    Is an interview required for admission into the Graduate-Entry M.S.N. program?

A:    Individual candidate interviews are done at the discretion of the program director.

Q:   Is there a specified format for recommendations?

A:   Three recommendations from professional sources are required. Recommendations are submitted electronically on your behalf via the “references” section of NursingCAS. Applicants should enter the email address for each recommender. Recommenders receive a standardized form from NursingCAS to complete. Applicants are responsible for communicating with and following up with their recommenders.

Q:    Is there a specified format for my personal statement describing career goals, future plans for employment and expectations for graduate study?

A:    The statement should demonstrate mastery of language, grammar, and syntax at a post-baccalaureate level. In addition, the statement should speak eloquently to your goals, expectations of graduate study, the role of the MSN Graduate, and plans for post-master’s employment. Submit your personal statement via the “personal statement” section of NursingCAS, title it “University of Toledo.”

Q:    Is admission competitive?

A:    Yes. Applicants are encouraged to give careful attention to all components of the application. Due to limited number of positions available, each Graduate-Entry M.S.N. applicant offered admission will submit a $300 reservation deposit along with their letter of intent to attend The University of Toledo within 2 weeks following notification of admission. This fee is applied to the individual’s fall tuition or is refundable up until June 1.

Q:    What is a Criminal Record Check?

A:    Students are required to authorize The University of Toledo to obtain criminal record checks (BCII and FBI background checks) and are responsible for fingerprinting expenses. Students must declare and document misdemeanor and/or felony offenses that occur prior to admission to the nursing program and/or during program progression. In compliance with Ohio Revised Code 4723-7, conviction will result in denial of admission to the program or dismissal after matriculation. The background check is completed if an offer of admission is extended and the applicant plans to accept. A registration hold is placed on the student’s account until the background check is received.

Q:    How do I know if all of my application materials have been received?

A:    It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor the status of their applications. You will need to login to your NursingCAS web application to check the receipt of your documents by NursingCAS. To check your Graduate application status, click here. Once logged in, simply click on your application to check the status.

Q:    How should I expect to learn about my admission status?

A:    The notification will come in a letter from The University of Toledo College of Graduate Studies.

Questions about Distance and e-Learning (online)

Q:    Can I take Graduate-Entry M.S.N. courses online?

A:    All classes meet traditionally on campus except for Introduction to Biostatistical Methods, Public Policy and Healthcare and Advanced Research for Evidence Based Nursing Practice.

Questions about Plans of Study, Progression through the Major and Advising

Q:    Is part-time study available?

A:    Starting Fall 2022, a part-time study option will be available. Applicants will indicate part or full-time on the Nursing Supplemental Application.

Q:    Must I complete the prerequisite courses before applying to the Graduate-Entry M.S.N. program?

A:    Applicants may be currently enrolled in a prerequisite class or classes during the application process; however, all prerequisite classes must be completed prior to the beginning of the fall semester. Please address this in your personal goal statement. Also, contact the Graduate Nursing Advisor at 419.383.5810 to discuss. A registration hold will be placed on the students account for missing prerequisite courses.

Q:    How “old” can my prerequisite course work be?

A:    Currently there are no time restrictions on prerequisite courses. Please remember that Anatomy and Physiology is heavily focused on in the Graduate-Entry M.S.N. program.

Q:    How long will it take to complete the Graduate-Entry M.S.N. program?

A:    The program is 2 years (5 semesters) in length for full-time students. Starting Fall 2022, students selecting a part-time option can complete the program in 4 years.  Both full and part-time options include one summer. Admission is one time per year in the fall.

Q.    What grades are required for progression in the Graduate-Entry M.S.N. program?

A:    Students are encouraged to strive for very good grades. The faculty in the College of Nursing have established the grade of ‘B’ as the minimum acceptable grade for all courses with prefix of NURS. More specific information can be found in The University of Toledo College of Nursing graduate handbook.

Q:    Is there a standard grading scale for courses within the College of Nursing?

A:    No, each faculty member publishes the grading scale within the syllabus of the course. Please review the syllabus carefully for this information.

Q:    Can I work full-time and successfully complete graduate course requirements?

A:    Students who need to work full-time should consider the part-time option.

Q:    Are accommodations available if I have a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

A:    The University will make reasonable academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities. Students should contact Student Disability Services.

Q:    Are tutors available for graduate students in the College of Nursing?

A:    Yes, tutoring is a service provided at no additional charge to all registered students on the Health Science Campus. Services are covered as a part of the student fees. For more information, contact the Academic Enrichment Center at 419.383.6118.

Questions about Financial Aid

Q:    How do I seek financial aid?

A:    Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA form and to meet with financial advisors on the UToledo Health Science Campus. If students do qualify for federal student aid, they must be enrolled half-time in the fall, spring, and summer, and hold regular admission status. Please check the financial aid web page for more information.

This information is available in alternative format upon request. Please contact the Office of Student Services at 419.383.5810 to make a request. Requests may also be emailed to or faxed to 419.383.5894. Advanced notice is required in order for the material to be available at the event. The amount of time varies on format requested and length of the material, so please call as far ahead as possible.     
Last Updated: 2/28/22