Student Services

Academic Terminology




Academic Advisors assist students with academic issues, such as understanding program requirements and choosing courses to meet degree requirements. An Academic Advisor can be a Professional Advisor or a Faculty Advisor.

Professional Advisors work with new students who have not declared a major, students who are changing colleges, transfer students, students who are returning to the university after an absence, and students who have been suspended.

Faculty Advisors work with students who have declared a particular major.

There are also advisors who help students in other areas of academic life, such as Financial Aid Advisors who help students in all aspects of financial aid and scholarships, and Career Services Advisors who help students explore various career options.

Page top

Baccalaureate Degree

A four-year Bachelor of Arts degree or Bachelor of Science degree granted by the College of Arts and Letters or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics.

Page top

Class Rank

Class rank is determined by the number of semester hours a student has earned as follows:

First Year Student 0-29.9 hours
Sophomore 30-59.9 hours
Junior 60-89.9 hours
Senior 90+ hours

Page top

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

A student may earn college credit by taking CLEP tests provided the student has not already earned college credit in the area in which credit is sought and the student is not currently enrolled in a course in that area.

The College of Arts & Letters and the College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics will accept a maximum of 21 CLEP credits from the General Examinations offered in the areas of College Mathematics, Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. Additional credits may be earned in individual subject areas.

CLEP tests are administered for a fee and by appointment at the University Test Center, Scott Park location, room AS120. CLEP scores are to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation.

For complete information about eligibility for CLEP testing, minimum scores and credit awarded, consult the University Catalog or go to

Page top


An institution of higher learning that grants degrees such as a bachelor’s degree or an associate’s degree. A college can be a separate institution, such as a liberal arts college, or it can be one of many undergraduate divisions of a university. The University of Toledo has nine colleges: Arts and Letters, Business and Innovation, Education, Engineering, Health and Human Services, Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Nursing, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and University College.

Page top


Since the passage of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) the policy of the Colleges of Arts and Letters and Natural Sciences and Mathematics is to release only Directory Information to anyone other than advisors without the student’s written consent. Students who wish to restrict the release of their Directory Information, or who have questions about FERPA, should contact the Office of the Registrar.

Directory Information is defined as follows:
Student name
Local/permanent address
Local/permanent phone number
E-mail address
College and major field of study
Full- or part-time enrollment status
Class rank
Dates of attendance
Degrees and awards received

Page top

Continuing Student

A student who has been enrolled in classes each semester (not counting the summer session).

Page top

Degree Audit Report

Anelectronically generated report that indicates how courses the student has earned, is currently enrolled in, or has transferred satisfy requirements for the degree program the student has declared. The audit also shows course options remaining to complete the degree. Students can access their Degree Audit Report from the UT Web for Students. A printed copy of the Degree Audit can be obtained from the Student Services office.

Page top

Distributive Requirements

Part of the general education requirements for students seeking degrees granted by the college. This requirement is divided into three categories:

Humanities/Fine Arts
UT core requirement is two courses for 6 hours; College requirements differ by college/major.

Natural Sciences
UT Core requirement is two courses for 6 hours; College requirements differ by college/major.

Social Sciences
UT Core requirement is two courses for 6 hours; College requirements differ by college/major.

NOTE: Because these requirements vary depending on the major the student has chosen, students are advised to consult their Degree Audit and the General Catalog for detailed information about specific courses that may be used to meet the Distributive Requirements.

Page top

Double Major

A student is said to have a “double major” when he or she is pursuing two majors offered as Bachelor of Arts or two majors offered as Bachelor of Science. The student must have an advisor in both majors. The student needs to complete the University Undergraduate Core Curriculum and the Arts and Letters or Natural Sciences and Mathematics Skill and Distributive Requirements only once. Usually the work for one major will count as the related work for the second major and vise versa, but this is subject to approval by both departmental advisors. Students who wish to pursue a major offered as a Bachelor of Art and a major offered as a Bachelor of Science should see Dual Degree.

Page top

Dual Degree

A student may earn two undergraduate degrees concurrently. A student who declares a Bachelor of Arts major and a Bachelor of Science major with both degrees in the College of Arts and Letters or the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics would have a dual degree. A student needs to complete the Skill and Distributive Requirements for each college in which the student is declared.

Page top

Full-Time Status

A student must carry a minimum of 12 semester hours each term to be considered a full-time student. If a student wishes to complete the requirements for an undergraduate degree in eight semesters, that student will need to complete 15 or 16 hours of course work each semester.

General Catalog

The General Catalog is the primary resource for students seeking to understand university policies, procedures and regulations as well as degree requirements for all programs offered at the University of Toledo. Students who did not receive a General Catalog may obtain one at the college office. The General Catalog is also available on the Web for Students. See Catalog Year Term for an explanation of the importance of keeping and consulting your catalog.

Page top

General Studies

There are two categories of General Studies Students:

A student who does not find that existing majors will satisfy their interests may select a concentration and related work not offered in traditional majors. (This major may not be advantageous if the student wants to go on to graduate school or to enter certain employment areas that require established curricular backgrounds.)


A student in the college who has not declared a major. While deciding on a major, General Studies students may work toward fulfilling other requirements such as the University of Toledo Undergraduate Core Curriculum and the College General Education Requirements.

Page top


A program of study that may involve two or more branches of learning, departments, and/or colleges.

Page top


A student’s main field of study.

Page top


A field of study in which a student may specialize, but with fewer credit hours than a major. Students are not required to pursue a minor.

Page top

New Student/Direct From High School

A student who enters college immediately following high school graduation.

Page top

New Student/Adult

New Adult students are those who identify with one or more of the following:

  • Have been out of high school for one or more years
  • Have a GED
  • Have fewer than 8 semester or 12 quarter hours of college level work attempted at another regionally accredited college or university.

Page top

Sexual Harassment

Is defined as the imposition of unwelcome sexual or gender-oriented remarks, touching, or other behavior, most often by a person misusing power over another. Sexual harassment is an abuse of power and a form of discrimination.

Page top


A guide to a course’s requirements. A syllabus should provide the instructor’s office location, office hours and phone number as well as the specific course requirements, such as textbook(s) and other reading material, reading assignments and due dates, writing assignments (length, type and due dates), and dates of midterms and finals. It may also contain the instructor’s grading scale, attendance and class participation policies. Students should consult their syllabi frequently throughout the term as many instructors use the syllabus as a day-to-day schedule of class topics and assignments.

Page top

Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE)

The TCE shows how courses from another institution correspond to courses at UT. Information about how transfer courses apply to specific degree programs at UT can be obtained by printing a Degree Audit Report at the Student Services office.

Page top


An educational institution with one or more undergraduate colleges, together with a graduate program and a number of professional schools, authorized to grant baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degrees.

Page top

Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) Course

A writing intensive course. The Colleges of Arts and Letters and Natural Sciences and Mathematics requires that all students take two WAC courses. Students must choose one WAC course in their major. The second WAC course can be in any subject area of the student’s choice. Students should consult the current Schedule of Classes for WAC offerings in a particular term.

Last Updated: 6/27/22