Department of Exploratory Studies

Conditional Enrollment Status

Transfer students with under a 2.0 higher education Grade Point Average (GPA) may be admitted on a one term conditional basis. Your first semester at UT must be at least a 2.0 GPA to remain at UT, although many majors require a much higher GPA to declare your major.


It is expected that you will take advantage of all the tutoring and support systems on campus to complete ALL classes you attempt with a grade of C or better (not C-, D, F, NC, W or I).

See the Resources available on the Department of Exploratory Studies home page and the Student Resources Tab on your MyUT Portal.  For questions or other suggestions keep in contact regularly with your Academic Advisor in the Department of Exploratory Studies.

 Financial Aid & Conditional Status

You may have received the notification below from the Office of Student Financial Aid via email or read this notification on your UT Portal under Financial Aid.

COND major no further fed aid until in program



You are not eligible for federal financial aid in a conditional major. You will need to contact your academic advisor to matriculate into a regular program. No additional aid will pay to your account until your major has been updated.

You are not permitted to declare ANY major until you have at least a 2.0 GPA or higher.

You are only permitted to receive Federal Financial Aid as a Conditional student for one-semester.  AFTER grades for the semester are posted AND the grades are 2.0 or higher, we will temporarily change your major to “undecided” so your financial aid can pay out. However, you are responsible for officially declaring your major in the UT College of your choice when as soon as possible within the first 2 weeks of the next semester. 

 College Offices contact information and GPA requirements.

Keep in mind that the Office of Student Financial Aid will evaluate your grades and completion ratio at the end of the semester. Your ability to receive Federal Financial Aid for the next term is contingent upon your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) this semester and completion ratio, including your prior transfer work. For further information about your Financial Aid see Rocket Solution Central.

Last Updated: 6/27/16